How do you test a power steering chuck/box

-

Trojmn

Reaction score
Ive just got my K frame back together and installed last week. I even autox'd 90Miles away over the weekend. All steering linkage and front end components are new or nearly new. The only unknown in the front suspension/steering is the power steering chuck. It actually goes down the road rather well/strait. however steering will sometime feel "notchy" during turns.

The current state:

• engine OFF steering wheel is very loose/sloppy. I can move move the wheel 20 degrees or more without any resistance or the tire moving
  • engine ON, the slightest movement of the wheel twitches the tire.
  • P/S is either overboosted in the center or is firm to notchy feeling just off center in either direction.
  • it tracks down the road well without wondering relaxed fingertip highway cruising dead/notchy feel is during turns
So is that "normal" to have so much slop with the engine off but completly responsive with the engine on? overboosted/numb on center feel but "Notchy" feeling SOMETIMES turning?

thanks!

Ben

The slop you feel with the engine not running is about normal for mopar power steering boxes of that era. You can adjust the pressure coming out of the P/S pump to get rid of the over boosted feel.
here's a link that shows how:
[ame]http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf[/ame]

The notchy feeling when turning could also be a bump steer or alignment issue.

-
Back