How do yours hang? LOL

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
Hey guys, I put an exhaust system under the Valiant last year and it had originally come out of a Duster, so it fit great, but the tips that are on it (Factory Duster Style Tips) have had tabs welded to them and the original hanger points were not used. The problem is that as of right now there is no rubber isolation between the exhaust and the frame/body. Its pretty bad sounding when I really get on it. You can hear it resonate through the body.
So I am wondering how exactly were the original tips hanging and where exactly were the mounting points on the car. Obviously a rubber loop was hooked on the tab thats welded on the tip. But that tab seems to be located between the 2 places it could have been mounted to easily.
As I am writing and thinking of this I am wondering if the tips were welded too far out the back. How far are they supposed to stick out from under the bumper?
Hopefully some one has pics or info. Thx guys.

Looking at my '68 factory service manual, it appears that the V-8 Barracuda exhaust had three attachment points 1-the engine manifold(s); 2-just aft of the muffler inside the axle well; 3-near the rear end of the frame rails on the outside face, aside the spare tire well. As far as the exhaust tips are concerned, a steel bracket was bolted to the outside face of the rear frame rail and an inverted "L"-shaped tab on the chrome tip slipped into the bracket from the rear.

It appears that the Valiant had a bracket bolted underneath the rear frame rail, also aside the spare tire well.

-
Back