how does the horn system work?

-

68 A

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hi,

I gotta get my horn working so i can pass inspection some day. When i push the button i can hear the relay click so i think that works. I'm not sure if the horns i have work or not, but i did buy 2 new horns that i could put on.

With wiring i found that the green with red stripe in the engine bay was in the wrong bulkhead connector. I put it in the correct location according to the wiring diagram, and tried it quick tonight, but didnt work.

I was looking for some information about how the system works. When you push the button, it controls the relay, but does the system have constant power and when the button is pushed it grounds the system out causeing the horn to blow?

I'm wondering how to check for power at the wire that hooks to the horn.

Thanks,

Steve

I had a similar problem. It turned out it was the relay. Replace that and see if this helps. Even thought you hear the click of the relay the contacts could be burnished. Replace it...more than likely will take care of the issue.

Aloha!

yes the relay has a constant power going to it. all you need is a test light to check it. test at the horn connector and if you dont have power then its the relay or the the constant power wire. the clicking just means the signal wire is turning the switch on and off. if you do have power then it is the horns themself or the horns are not grounded good.

ok, i'll get my test light out tonight and see what i find.

Thanks,

Steve

-
Back