How Far

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
Things are slowly happening. I'm pulling the dusters engine to put in the Signet. Question: How far should I go in this?

The motor was a complete rebuild with only about 6 months total use on it, however it's been sitting for 2 1/2 years with the odd turning over by hand and maybe twice with a starter just to get the oil pressure up. Once pulled, I want to clean it and the 727 up real good and repaint, but how far should I go with new gaskets etc? Some guys say it should be OK (flasher-up) but I would like some "A-body" feedback on "what you would do"

Thanks guys.
Jim

pic4.JPG

scan0003.jpg

From the amount of viewers, I can only think this was a "bad" or silly question and would be on a "each to their own" bases.

Hopefully I will be happy just doing the following: I think just replacing the following gaskets should do? oil pan, water pump/timimg, and valve cover gaskets. Maybe intake at the same time??? Re-torque everything else (bolts) I can get at. :-|

i think people arent answering you cuz this is a touchy subject. but i think you are on the right track jim.. we can look it over and come to a conclusion.. put the ones you stated should do the trick.. plus a tune up.. obviously..

but your old enough to have already known that.

get it.. old.. haha i kill myself..
:toothy7:

Cerwin

hey man, all I can give is that, my valiant has sat for about 9 years with only the 6 months or so start. I havent had any issues at all other than a pan gasket leak. Noe head gasket problems or anything. I think if it were me Id replace the "exterior gaskets" (valve covers, pan, intake, etc.) and call it good! by the way is that the doner car? the white duster? If so how com your takeing that apart? Im not too fond of the Duster rear body section but the those perticular stripes black on the white make those body lines look great!

Problem is Jimmy I'm looking where you live and considering the high humidity of the west coast I'd do the following. Replace the mechanical fuel pump, if that's what you're using, cuss of the old diaphragm, rebuild the carb cuss the gaskets will probably leak when they see gas, put an electric drill on the oil pump and run for 10 minutes then dump the oil and check the oil for rusty color. See where I'm going with this. If everything looks good replace the plug wires, flush the cooling system and fire it up.

Good luck Terry.

-
Back