How hard is setting up the 8 1/4 R&P

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
Got my 8 1/4 totally redone 14 years ago by DTS here near my home. They cleaned the housing, painted black, install posi with 3.91 gears. Runs super, must have over 50,000 miles on it by now.

I got the old 3.21 gears still and know it be better @ 70 mph on the expressways. But I'm nervous of anybody messing around with it since right now its doing so good. It had a gear change from 2.45 to 3.21 before it got the 3.91's. Not sure how the housing threads are, etc.

i think the 8.25's are like the old style dana's... you have to shim the carrier to the right backlash...

other than that you just need to have the tools and be able to get the pinion bearings set at the right height...

No, the 8.25 had screw adjusters just like the 8.75.

I rebuilt my 8.25 about 8 years ago (about 50k miles) going from 2.90's to 3.55 gears. The hardest part of the job was tightening the pinion nut to start the crush sleeve collapsing.

The ring/pinions you buy these days are marked with what the pinion depth should be so with some careful measuring you won't have to play the trial and error game to get the mesh right.

The backlash is easily adjusted with the screw adjusters, just need to make a tool to reach in from the end of the axle and make the adjustment and preload the bearing. I welded nuts onto each end of a rod but if you have an old torsion bar around that works great.

-
Back