How hard/whats needed to change.....

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
How hard and what all would be needed to change a 74 Duster /6 3speed floor shift car, to a 318/340/360 4 speed???

Best for the bucks would be a 318 or the 360.

I would do the 360 and since you lready have a clutch pedal assembly you are most of the way there.

Need the trans duh you know that, ( do you have a year or model of 4 speed you want to use or have already? ) you need the bell housing and complete clutch assembly for a 360. But there is a balancing issue too and a pilot bushing goes in the crank.

You will need the shifter/rods and the T bar for the bigger clutch / bell housing. I would go with a 10 1/2 clutch should be fine. I would most likely go with a scatter sheild instead of the factory iron bell housing. But I like safety 1st.

I think that covers most of it? I know you got to cut the drive shaft too. Also you have a small 7 1/4 rear end right in a /6 car? You should also upgrade the rear end to with an 8 3/4 and depending on how the engine is and how you want it to go quick Vs fast top end gears in the 3.55 range are a good base line.

That's basically what I did. My car was \6 3 speed on the column also. I ended up buying a rusted up 65 V8 cuda parts car that had a four speed to boot. It was a little easier for me. Don't forget if you go 360 make sure you get a 360 flywheel unless you rebuild the 360. If you rebuild the 360 you can have it internally balanced so that you can us any sb flywheel that is internally balanced.

Lee

If you are going to use the 7 1/4 the driveline is the same length for the 3 speed and 4 speed but you need to put a 727 yoke on the driveline for the 4 speed because the 3 speed uses a 904 yoke. If you convert to an 8 1/4 the driveline will need to be 1.6" shorter and if you put an 8 3/4 in the car you driveline will need to be 2.26" shorter.

Chuck

The car does have a 7 1/4. But it does have front discs and no factory A/C so it would be a pretty good canidate. I just have to decide if I want to spend $1700-$2000 on another project car instead of starting on my FJ5 70 Duster. I already have all the parts I need for the 70 model, but a factory manual floor shift car has me thinking........again.........

-
Back