How hot is too hot?

-

Coryduran

Reaction score
I just replaced the thermostat recently, switched from one like this.

G124365.jpg

to one like this.

st13008_updated.jpg

I had an over heating problem, and thought it might have been the thermostat, ended up being something else which is now fixed, but now it seems the car runs warmer than usual. The thermostat is now sitting right about here.

(See Attached Photo)

So, is that too warm? The temp gauge used to sit right between the first two lines on there, and if you can't notice it's sitting right on the first line in the picture, and while I was driving it was sitting just a little bit past the first line and second line. Does that seem too hot? The new thermostat is 180 degrees which is what my owners manual said to use. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 287
Looks right to me. If your questioning the accuracy of the gauge then just check it with a thermometer. Hell I have used a meat thermometer before.

You can go to the local chain auto parts store and get a radiator cap the has a temp gauge on it. They pretty accurate too, I had one on this old 85 grand prix I owned (Had stock gauges, sunpro gauge, and the radiator cap gauge) all three of the readings where 1 or 2 degrees difference (total) from all three.

Yeah I don't know, perhaps the thermostat that was on the car before was rated at a lower temp or was overly cooling the engine. It's been running fine and everything so I'll just take everyone's word for it and trust that nothing is gonna crack under the hood ;)

Went from the O.E. style to GM FORD type ?????????????????????

-
Back