How interchangeable are 318 harmonic balancers?

-
i think the offset hole was about either balance, pulley back on in same position every time, or making sure you didn't use the aircon/power steeirng pulley set, with different offsets on a none aircon or manual steering car.

or it might just be a hangover from aussie 273 production, aint got one so don't know

there will have been method to this madness.... and the intention will have been to avoid people getting into a fix, i don't belive they were trying to confound us all 50 years later....

they gave the aussies the 318 and the hemi 245 at the end of Light A Engine design in 1965/6/7 or whenever that was..
if the aussies saw no need to change it, they didn't change it i.e there will be US produced 318s with offset hole pulleys somewhere. you just had many more years of 318s with and without the offset , and wth offset are probably no longer the norm.

Last edited:
I'd love to see some pictures of this car when you are done

presume its a 770 trim level car i.e 2 door hardtop 1968 dart body with the 1970s "European car" inspired grill ** and slightly compressed nose. definite mix of aussie US and Europeans (probably greeks and itallians, ex-pat communities that loved a valaint ) in the design studio in Aus at that time.

this was the car i wanted when i lived in OZ. trouble is i lived in a condo with short parking spaces and it would have blocked the garage... went with the charger instead about 1 foot shorter mid 60s B body width at the back... 1970s A body width up front.. that fitted perfectly well even if i had to get out and push it into the space :). brought it home to the UK expecting to be unique and discovered they sold about 250 here... VG would have been better from a uniqueness point of view i only know of 2 still running i know about 16 chargers.

Dave

**check out hillman hunter, ford cortina mk2, ford capri mk1, and austin allegro
horizontal bar ally grills and square headlamps all over the place and all designed in same period. while you guys were putting on big plastic nostrils and 5mph impact bumpers we were paying no heed to the safety of pedestrians :) then again most listed above would struggle to do a 18 second quater mile

Dave

I'd love to see some pictures of this car when you are done

presume its a 770 trim level car i.e 2 door hardtop 1968 dart body with the 1970s "European car" inspired grill ** and slightly compressed nose.
Dave,

Yes, it's a 770 Regal Hardtop (Mexicana, as well), and I posted a few pictures of it in my introduction thread:

I have many, many more pictures of it, but I hesitate to post too many of them here since, A) I think people may get tired of seeing it/them, and B) it's not my car, and I don't know how much the owner wants me to "share" in public. (And sadly, I can't ask him right now, as he's back in the ICU as of Wednesday eve.)

But feel free to shoot me a message in the PM/Discussion area here, with your email, I'll be happy to discuss the vehicle with you "offline", as it were.

Jim

-
Back