How is the autobody business??

-

67cudaResto89

Reaction score
Ok so im a tech been a tech comin up on 4 years and just recently got a job at honda. I like honda and i enjoy being a tech but my true love and passion is in autobody repair. Ive been talking with the wife and since im still young i think im going to go back to school for it and try to grt into that side of the business. I was just wondering if therr are any autobody guys out there and whether or not it is or isnt worth it to make the change. Proc and cons thing. I just dont want to go thru life asking what if and end up being miserable at my job. Any input is appreciated.
Shane

well if you don't mind smelling the fums all day and breathing dust O and wen you shower at nite you watch the dirt and dust run down the trap.Oya and wen you get to be my age you only have 40% of your lungs left and have to sleep with oxygen well then I guess its not to bad....Artie

wen you get to be my age you only have 40% of your lungs left and have to sleep with oxygen well then I guess its not to bad....Artie

Im thinking that can be avoided by wearing a respirator while painting and a dust mask while sanding.

The shops I work with are pretty busy. Wish I had gone to school for it although I like what I do now and I can keep the body work as a hobby/side job.

I run the office of a transmission shop RIGHT next to a body shop and they are busy all the time.

While there is nothing wrong with learning how to the body work, right now, I would suggest you stay on the mechanical side of things.
It pays more, and insurance company's aren't trying to gouge every nickle out of you.
That right there is the big thing, the insurance company's. Dealing with them and the free stuff they expect you to do or they don't send you work. Oh and then they expect a discount on the work you do.
as I said, theres nothing wrong with education, but I'm not sure being a body man is where the $$$ is these days.

Im self employed, Im just a 1 man operation booked 2 months in advance all the time. I love what I do. I never get up and go to work... because its not a job to me. I turn work away because I can't do it all. If your good at what you do people and word of mouth will find you. As for going to school either you have it or you don't...Its something that can't be taught. Practice makes perfect. The thing about this business is 90% is insurance pay so even if the economy is bad its not coming out of your customers pocket and everyone needs thier cars fixed.

You could try to start up a small shop in your garage(if you have a garage) to see if you really want to do that.I was a welder for many years and the two are similar in that you have to suit up to be protected and in the hot summer it gets cumbersome.But if your wanting to be self-employed its a good business to get into if your good at it,if not it want last long.Good luck

Body shops have been a little slow around here. Still tons of jobs available though. If that is truly what you want to do go do it, as long as your happy.

Also if you do go into the autobody industry i would strongly recommend you save money so you can retire when your about 45-50 years old as your body will be in bad shape by then. my dad has done body work since he was 16 or 17, he has back problems, knee problems, tennis elbow ect. His knees are the worst. Not scaring you away just plan for the future.

Not sure I saw it mentioned here but the one thing you will have to deal with as a legitimate business owner is the EPA or similar types of groups in your state, due to all the chemicals and such. Be prepared for that and know what the costs are of meeting regulations.

Im thinking that can be avoided by wearing a respirator while painting and a dust mask while sanding.

The shops I work with are pretty busy. Wish I had gone to school for it although I like what I do now and I can keep the body work as a hobby/side job.

It helps but the dust still gets on your clothes, hair and you can't help but to breathe some dust in.

But yeah, people are always wrecking their cars and todays cars just a light bump means $$$$ in damages. You will not run out of work

If it is your passion then give it a try. I kick myself for not taking one opportunity in life that I had a passion for when I was young. I did find what I wanted to do as a career and quit my mechanic's job at the age of 24 to go back to school and graduated at the age of 30. I have been at my job for 25 years now.

Maintain your tech certification while you are moving into the auto body repair side of the house. You may discover things about the auto body repair business that doesn't suit you, such as insurance work, that makes you go back to the tech side and do body work as a side job.

Good luck.

While there is nothing wrong with learning how to the body work, right now, I would suggest you stay on the mechanical side of things.
It pays more, and insurance company's aren't trying to gouge every nickle out of you.
That right there is the big thing, the insurance company's. Dealing with them and the free stuff they expect you to do or they don't send you work. Oh and then they expect a discount on the work you do.
as I said, theres nothing wrong with education, but I'm not sure being a body man is where the $$$ is these days.
Must be bad where your at because nothing like that here. I have exellent relationships with my insurance adjusters and they make sure I get everything I desirve. Now on the other hand if you nickle and dime the adjusters for every nut , bolt and clip or have attitude they will not work with you.

My overall plan is to start my own business and do both mechanical and autobody. Just a small operation. I have a knack for bodywork ive beendoing it since i was 14 to my own cars and family members and im pretty good i want to go to school to see if i can pick any tricks up or anything that may help me along and make me better. The dust and rust doesnt bother me. My lungs are already shot from asthma. But i just feel like this is the path i should go. And like a few of you guys have said eveyone needs their cars fixed accident happen all the time. I think id rather deal with insurance companies than warranty work. But i will be keepin up with tr mechanical portion working during the day and school at night. Worst case scenario i dont want to do it for a living but keep it as sidework which means money in this business.

That's not true. We work with insurance companies sometimes....I am right now on one job. They are bound by LAW to use the correct and up to date certified labor guides. We use Motor Alldata and the insurance companies pay right by it.

Also if you do go into the autobody industry i would strongly recommend you save money so you can retire when your about 45-50 years old as your body will be in bad shape by then. my dad has done body work since he was 16 or 17, he has back problems, knee problems, tennis elbow ect. His knees are the worst. Not scaring you away just plan for the future.

Ive got shoulder issue from wax on wax of for the past 10 years. I'll be in bad shape in another 10.

It helps but the dust still gets on your clothes, hair and you can't help but to breathe some dust in.

But yeah, people are always wrecking their cars and todays cars just a light bump means $$$$ in damages. You will not run out of work

I did it for 2 years and still do it on the side. Its makes a mess. Im just think that guys that started doing it in the 70s or 80s perhaps didnt know the health risks like we do now.

Well. The health risks are definitely a negative but whether i stay in mechanical or not thrre are health issues that go along with that as well. I developed asthma from being a tech and even tho ive only been in the business a few years i feel it. The knees back everything hurts. But no matter which field ur body is going to take a beating. Im prepared for that but ive been saving for retirement since i was 16 so im prepared to retire early!

I was a Honda Tech for 5 years(Cars). They were so nice to work on compared to When I worked in a Ford Dealership. No oil all over me at the end of the day(Then the Passports came along. Anyway, I regret not getting into the bodywork side of things. Think of how great it would be to be able to do a full restoration an a car by yourself. I say go for it.

You would be surprised a lot of hondas have leak issues. I had fix one a few weeks aho brand new odyssey 18k miles on it whole front cover soaked with oil ended up being both cam seals.

Buy your self a fixer upper, something late model that need body repairs.
Do all the work yourself, when finished re-sell it.
This will let you know if you want to do it every day.

ive done that with a few vehicles already and i enjoy it very much. I guess my main question is is there money to be made?

We knew but thought we were ok. I worked in a bump shop in the 1980's for one summer. Only rules were no drinking before noon--yes you could drink beer on the job--long as you did good work.

Smoking most guys did. I seen one of the guys in the late 90's, he was all used up. Didn't even look like him, he yelled my name out in a party store and I was like who the heck are you ? Starts telling me how no more drinking, smoking for him.

You can not protect yourself from all health risks. Vibration can cause nerve damage in your arms. Those D/A and sanding bars can take their total on your body after many years.

Wenching on cars seems, IDK, less harmful. Body work does pay good, just be sure it comes with health insurance

We have an Allstate preferred shop. In order to have that "preferred" status we have to give discounts, do favors and re-do other shops come backs.
The adjusters seem like they just come from the front lines of McDonalds. They always write aftermarket and LKQ parts and only write OEM when they have no choice.
I'm not sure if we get the adjusters in training or what, but man is there a turn over on them. Geico is nearly as bad. Not all company's are bad to deal with, and of course there is the difference between the insured and the claimant.
I don't want to discourage anyone, but there are pitfalls to any job.

Isn't there enough money to be made wrenching? I worked flat rate in Honda & Acura dealers for years before opening up my own independent shop & Honda was the place to be. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. I'd start by being honest with youself & ask what it is that makes you want to do something different. Is it the true passion to do body work, or are you just unhappy at what you're doing now & look to that to make it better? I've always loved doing bodywork & making something look new again, but that's been my hobby I do for the enjoyment. I don't do it for money because I don't want the business end of things to spoil my enthusiasm for it. There are plenty of work hazzards to deal with on both sides. You will pay a price later in life for either with sore joints, hearing loss etc. Are you unhappy because of the ups & downs of flat rate? Well more & more body shops are working flat rate every day. So that may not make you happier in the end. I'd think long & hard about this & be honest with yourself as to what you really want.
The grass may look greener, but it may be growing over the septic system & it still needs to be mowed!..
Good luck with your decision.

-
Back