How likely that I screw it up? Mopar 727 tranny guts swap

-

RabidScott

Reaction score
First off, I'd like to say I've never rebuilt an automatic tranny before. I call them Voodoo Juiceboxes and usually swap in a stick shift.

However, I've been told the 727s are one of the easier trannys to rebuild, so I'm thinking about giving this a whirl, with a bit of a twist.

I have a known good heavy duty truck 727 with the fixed rear yoke that I want to swap the guts into a '66 passenger car 727 with a slip yoke, and add a shift kit while I'm at it.

I've heard the big truck/motorhome trannys have better beefy guts than a standard 727.

I've installed shift kits before so I'm confident doing that, I was just wondering what the more experienced members think.

Can I do this? I'm clean and detail oriented, but I'm thinking I'll need special tools.

Any useful bits of information?

Thanks guys!

Buy the book that john cope(cope racing) sells for a good price, then spend a week reading.

Torqueflites are very easy to rebuild. I rebuilt my first one 30 yrs. ago when I was in high school auto shop when I was 17 and it worked great. Only thing I'd recommend is to get a shop factory serv. manual or better yet this book

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_39?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=torqueflite+a-727+transmission+handbook&sprefix=torqueflite+a-727+transmission+handbook"]Amazon.com: torqueflite a-727 transmission handbook[/ame]

There are also some good video's but personally I like to have a book so I can keep it in the shop.

As a general rule trucks transmissions are beefier but some car transmissions are just as beefy. Namely older big block transmissions.

Couple things to keep in mind,

1. up to 1970 727's used a narrow front clutch support bushing and stator. Hopefully the truck trans. you have is a 71 or newer.

2. the output shaft spline angle changed in 1976 and again in the 90's (93?) so the output shaft splines must match the front planetary gearset splines. I forget which way it goes but I know you can either put old style planetaries on a new output shaft or vice versa and it looks correct but it won't last long. Just make sure you use your front planetary gearset from the same trans. the output shaft came from and you'll be ok.

If you don't have a shift kit consider a Trans-go. I've used every brand on the market and IMO they are the best. A little more work involved but well worth it.

Very few special tools are needed. I built a clutch pack spring retainer compressor for use with my press. Other than that, snap ring pliers, a slide hammer, a large C-clamp, a dial indicator,bushing driver set and an inch lb. torque wrench are about it for special tools.

Can you do it? I don't know your mechanical ability but if your halfway skilled at all you'll do fine.

If you'd like a list of parts I normally buy for a complete rebuild pm me.

-
Back