how long should paint dry for stripes?

-

mattsinger

Reaction score
so like the title says... How long should fresh paint dry before adding vinyl stripes? I have been told both 6 months and immediate.
opinions?

thanks
Matt

so like the title says... How long should fresh paint dry before adding vinyl stripes? I have been told both 6 months and immediate.
opinions?

thanks
Matt

Contact your specific paint manufacturer. I would say a minimum of one month.

I wouldn't do it immediately, even if I was told I could.

Was the car painted in a proper paint booth with dryers. What kind of paint? base coat or waterborn? Always best to wait a min. of 7 days for proper curing time. Most vynil manufacturer will recommend 30 days.....

thanks....I didn't think right away was the correct answer. The paint was nason bc/cc..and no, not a paint booth job, I did it in my garage

Wait color sand and buff first. Thats done very soon while clear is more plyable but can be later. Paint can take a long time to cure if not baked or infared. I have only sprayed a little nason and i dont have tech sheet here. I would wait as long as ya can 90 days to be safe then prep surface clean and go for it. Its all in the system.

my stripes were semi gloss and installed right after the car was painted,
6 years later i installed the correct matt black stripes without any problems.
i had them along time before i got the nerve up to change them.
maybe i was lucky

I waited a month after the scuff and buff to put the tail stripe on the Dart.... (the info I had recieved up till that point seemed to be 30 days was the recommended time)

This is Highly dependent on what type of paint used and if your paint include a catalyst or hardener. If you did not use these items you must definitely wait, even if you did you should talk with your local rep, they are usually a well informed resource.

How long do you think the factory waited ? I put mine on 3 days after the car was painted. Only cause it took a few days to cut and buff it.

a week on my Demon........

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 076.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 136
How long do you think the factory waited ? I put mine on 3 days after the car was painted. Only cause it took a few days to cut and buff it.

Yea but the factory usually bakes the cars after paint dont they?

In the 60s and 70s ? I dont think so but I very well could be wrong. Lots of shops have heated booths now also.

In the 60s and 70s ? I dont think so but I very well could be wrong. Lots of shops have heated booths now also.

I totally agree with you on that.. he said it wasnt a booth job though, did it in his garage, which is how we did my Dart... so thats why I waited the month.. who knows if I really had to or not lol

-
Back