How long?

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I painted my truck with single stage paint yesterday. For some reason the hood came out a little foggy or dull in spots. How long do I have to wait before I can buff it to a nice shine?

Jack

if it is a good singlestage paint,a urethane,it should definitly be dry enough by today.Sand it with 2000 grit,wet of course,and buff away.I hope its not a metallic color or it will look motley after you sand and buff it.I only use single stage on straightcolors,non metallics.

It is a urethane. I don't think it is a metalic, but it does have a lot of pearl in it.
I guess I will try it out in an small spot first.

Jack

Hey Jack......I think that pearl is gonna limit what you can do with sanding & buffing.......

It may very well act just like a metallic compound...........be careful......Unless it's a color with no additives, wet sanding & buffing are reserved for clearcoats.

Hey Jack......I think that pearl is gonna limit what you can do with sanding & buffing.......

It may very well act just like a metallic compound...........be careful......Unless it's a color with no additives, wet sanding & buffing are reserved for clearcoats.

Ah crap, I just new somebody was going to say that.

Jack

Pearl is a real booger...........Kinda like candy...........difficult to work with, and nearly impossible to spot repair.......

BUT, who knows.............If your Urethane is 1 stage, like DuPont Imron or a similar mix, you just might get away with some nice buffing WITHOUT wet sanding........I would try this first.......

Those little areas you speak of just might blend with some fine compound.........I'd use water compound if you can find it, and don't bear down too hard.......follow that with a cleaning, and then give it a nice power wax where you buffed............might just work. 8)

Pearl is a real booger...........Kinda like candy...........difficult to work with, and nearly impossible to spot repair.......

BUT, who knows.............If your Urethane is 1 stage, like DuPont Imron or a similar mix, you just might get away with some nice buffing WITHOUT wet sanding........I would try this first.......

Those little areas you speak of just might blend with some fine compound.........I'd use water compound if you can find it, and don't bear down too hard.......follow that with a cleaning, and then give it a nice power wax where you buffed............might just work. 8)

That's pretty much what I was thinking from the start. I have 2 compounds I can try. One is a mild cutter and the other is a polisher. I was going to work with the polishing compound first and if it didn't do the trick, then I would step up to the cutter. If all else fails I do have enough paint left over to give it another coat or maybe even 2.

Jack

-
Back