How many of you have had Fox Body mustangs?

-
Early Fox fans,might like "foureyedpride"... Dedicated to early Fox bodies,(Capri's LTD,Fairmont & Zephyr, T birds) cool site.?..

A buddy of mine was into em. We shared a hangar at a local airport. I was doing a frameoff resto on a 1960 el camino, he was into the fox body stangs. He still has them, theres only one in his stash i would want. 1985 burnt red metallic mustang SVO. He also has a 1979 302 4 speed notchback coupe i thought was interesting.

Rich was sort of a cobbler though. He wasnt just thrifty with a buck, just downright cheap. He did a dingleball hone rebuild on the high mileage 302, left the old cam bearings in it, put the original pistons back in it, and wasnt going to change out the core plugs in the block until i made a big protest about how cheap can you get, and told him i will put new ones in the block if you spend the $15 get some marine grade brass plugs. The 3rd one i knocked into the block taking em out was almost rusted through that it fell apart. Anyhow he wiped his new cam out when an old cam bearing spun.

Eventually he got it up and running, i did a fair amount of welding on it, fabricating metal floor patches , and rebuilding the windshield frame upper corners where it rusted through. He learned from experience and me telling him, if its marginal toss it and replace it, and he started to get less cheap, and the car got more reliable.

Eventually he ditched the duraspark box, and we wired an HEI up to it. Car became more reliable. Eventually i bought a house and moved out of the hangar. He got a job over in South Korea as a contractor. Last i heard he was saving all his cash to come back and buy rent houses.

That all being said if i didnt get into A bodies, and before that mopar fwd turbo G bodies, i'd probably be into fox bodies. I like the simplicity of all 3 of these car lines.

Last edited:
-
Back