How many of you would buy an aftermarket block in low deck height. Aluminum, cast iron, up to 4.500 bore size.

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I see there's a few companies producing new castings for gen 2 hemi and wedge.
I was watching a video from Mopar something or other dude who doesn't know ****, tours callies shop.
I mentioned low deck blocks, if they were made they would sell.
He, guy who doesn't know **** says there's no demand for them.
Anyways for you big block guys or small block guys who would like a low deck with the same options available on new rb blocks.
Let's here it.

Not a consideration for me at this point, but if I ever did a big block again, it would be a low deck and not an RB.

Building a hemi, I would want an rb. Building a wedge, I'd want a low deck.
But considering the price of an aftermarket MOPAR block, I doubt I would spend the money for either. I don't plan to make enough power to need one. My e.t. goal doesn't require one. Much more likely to spend big money on cylinder heads.
(and an aftermarket Mopar block runs about the same money as a c-word 540 short block, including an aftermarket block and all forged internals.)

I agree, the price is outrageous.
There are pretty nice options for out there for the small block guys.
I will probably see what I can do to make a factory block into big bore with sleeves, I would like to achieve a 4.500 inch bore, I think the only way possible to accomplish it is a 3/32 thick sleeve and hard block it.

I agree, the price is outrageous.
There are pretty nice options for out there for the small block guys.
I will probably see what I can do to make a factory block into big bore with sleeves, I would like to achieve a 4.500 inch bore, I think the only way possible to accomplish it is a 3/32 thick sleeve and hard block it.
How much power are you trying to make? N/A? I'd be interested to see how your experiment turns out.

How much power are you trying to make? N/A? I'd be interested to see how your experiment turns out.
Im not sure, I'd like to do eventually 500 ci with 3.91 stroke with killer heads b1 or -1
900 HP would be a goal but damn, it's still a stock block. I have seen stock block survival but unsure their longevity.
I have big dreams and the opposite in budget so I guess, in my case I'll have to learn the hard way or be successful lol

The season hasn't even started yet but I'm starting to think I need to step up my game! lol

Chevrolet Performance offers an aluminum 6.2 LS block for like 2700 bucks through Summit. The only reason in the world someone cannot offer one for a Mopar at that price point is greed.

Last edited:
CHevrolet Performance offers an aluminum 6.2 LS block for like 2700 bucks through Summit. The only reason in the world someone cannot offer one for a Mopar at that price point is greed.
Yep speed master also has cast all kinds of blocks, not sure if they're as beefcake as the big block Mopar blocks. Which are double + in cost. Maybe these guys think most guys are already spending so much, why not gouge some more.

I talked to the guys over at Indy at the Mopar Nats. I was going to buy an Indy low deck block. But they told me could be 18 months or more before I would see any of their blocks. That is why I bought a Mopar / Callies RB block. Got it in 2-3 weeks. Machine work is done on my block, and I am starting assembly as time allows.

Can you imagine how light an all aluminum low deck would be? Makes my little pecker get hard.

Chevrolet Performance offers an aluminum 6.2 LS block for like 2700 bucks through Summit. The only reason in the world someone cannot offer one for a Mopar at that price point is greed.
I've gotta disagree with that , a little. Development and casting and machining costs should be about the same, granted, but the market, potential sales, will determine if you make money doing a block (or really any parts). If I can sell a thousand LS blocks, and hundred Mopar blocks, the mopars HAVE to cost more. If I can only sell ten, they aren't gonna happen at all.
I don't like it, I wish it wasn't true..... but it is.

Almost forgot. A 6.2 LS aluminum block is a completely stock, everyday production piece, they have done tens of thousands of them, if not 100s of thousands. I have one in my stock camaro. If you could sell tens of thousands of Mopar aftermarket aluminum blocks, they'd be $2700 too.

Last edited:
Im not sure, I'd like to do eventually 500 ci with 3.91 stroke with killer heads b1 or -1
900 HP would be a goal but damn, it's still a stock block. I have seen stock block survival but unsure their longevity.
I have big dreams and the opposite in budget so I guess, in my case I'll have to learn the hard way or be successful lol
I think there are several ways to crutch a production block to get it to survive a high power level, at least for a while. A lot of tricks can be tried on a stock block for the money an aftermarket block costs. You just can't really get the nice big bore that an aftermarket block offers.
Malex just found some cracks in his race engine, after several years of low 10 second power. I think he was planning on an aftermarket block.......but ran across another stocker, and gonna build that.
(Oops, just realized I am on A-bodies. Malex's thread is on B-bodies, he runs a 64 belvedere)

I think there are several ways to crutch a production block to get it to survive a high power level, at least for a while. A lot of tricks can be tried on a stock block for the money an aftermarket block costs. You just can't really get the nice big bore that an aftermarket block offers.
Malex just found some cracks in his race engine, after several years of low 10 second power. I think he was planning on an aftermarket block.......but ran across another stocker, and gonna build that.
(Oops, just realized I am on A-bodies. Malex's thread is on B-bodies, he runs a 64 belvedere)
Oh that's alright, malex is a great fabo member too, did his mainline crack ?

Aluminum caps, aluminum rods, I suppose could make a stock block live a long while.

-
Back