How many of your personal cars ended up in junkyards?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ha....
My very first one did, a '69 Dart 318 I had for a little over a year in 82-83. I sold it to buy a Dart Sport. About a year after I sold it, I saw it at a local U-Pull-It junkyard.
Dart 1.jpg

It was a sad moment for me. It wasn't even wrecked, they must have encountered something mechanical they couldn't fix.
How about you?

We had a 2002 VW Passat that slipped its timing belt on my way to work one frosty December evening. Left me stranded in the middle of nowhere in about 12° temps. Definitely couldn’t afford the engine rebuild on that, so away she went. She wasn’t even due for a timing belt, so I’m still not sure what happened, or why.

It’s pretty bad when the dealer starts laughing when they see my trade in…..

Only one that I know of. A 73 Nova that I totaled.

A 70 Coronet 440 4dr. ( was technically my 1st car) I traded it for a good running 383 for my 70 Bee that I bought 4 months after getting the Coronet.. I was 15 years old.

Back in ~1982ish I had a '71 Demon (B5, /6, auto., just under 200,000 miles) that was so rusty (metro-Detroit), it had to go to the crusher.

Ask me about PSC Liver Disease.

Pretty sure my bronze '69 Charger 318 ended up there. I sold it to my friend. It was parked on side of road in front of his house and some drunk side swiped it down entire side of car. He sold it to local guy who never did anything with it then it disappeared.

For me it’s work trucks. All Dodges /rams except for a 91’ Super Duty (F-450) and a 82’ Chevrolet G30 cube van.
You become very attached to them, kinda like family members…. That make you a lot of money. But the day comes when you set them free. They no longer need to carry a big load or pull trailers. You like to in vision them sitting in a field “retired” over looking a nice lake, but I know they were stripped of any good pieces and crushed. Melted down for future soda cans.

Back in the 2000’s I had a personal truck an 95 s10 blazer. I traded it in for Brand new 2007 Ram Snow Chief 2500. I found out the blazer was sold to like the Ethiopian government to be used in their military. Worse than being crushed.

63 Econoline van 289 and 9" (Before kits and the Internet)

56 F100 351W, cerp belt, C4, 4 wheel power disk, 9," centerlines. (Before kits and the Internet)

70 VW Bug 1776 dual Webers

70 something Bobcat

85 Chevy Cavalier

91 Chevy lumina variable fuel (M85 or gas, M85 is not a typo)

Last edited:
Not sure how many but, I'm pretty sure my 1st car wound up being scrap. I tried to buy it back on several occasions but the owner would just let it rot then, it was just gone.

PXL_20230116_211917612.jpg

PXL_20230116_211932404.jpg

IMG951930.jpg

IMG951932.jpg

IMG951936.jpg

My mom sold a 79 Camaro Z28 when dad bought her a used 82 Trans Am. I wanted that Camaro but couldn’t afford what it was worth then.
I saw it a few years later all dirty and neglected on some dudes side yard.
I told him that was my mothers car. He said “ Yeah?” I said ….”Thst used to be a nice car. What happened?”
I think he just flipped me off and walked away.

My mom sold a 79 Camaro Z28 when dad bought her a used 82 Trans Am. I wanted that Camaro but couldn’t afford what it was worth then.
I saw it a few years later all dirty and neglected on some dudes side yard.
I told him that was my mothers car. He said “ Yeah?” I said ….”Thst used to be a nice car. What happened?”
I think he just flipped me off and walked away.
Sounds like a dick...lol

Yeah, when you gift your car to your kids to just watch it rot away.
I have 4 Mopar's. I have asked each one of my 3 kids which one they the want, when you know I hit 150 years old because that's how long it will take to finish the restorations and surprisingly, there indifferent and so far, no fighting. Yes, lets hope its no left to rot.

68 Ford Fairlane 500, totaled by a drunk, (not me).
74 Gran Torino, dragged it there behind my buddy's 78 Power Wagon after we stripped it.
76 Gran Torino, sold it to a wrecker after I was done with it, boss wanted it off the lot.
66 Chrysler New Yorker, dragged that one right into the shredder.
71 Galaxie 500 after my brother and I stripped it.
73 Ambassador after a demo derby
72 Pontiac Parisienne after a demo derby
77 Dodge Aspen wagon, totaled
70 Dart GT, sold to a friend, later had an engine fire.
92 F150 supercab 4x4, totaled when I fell off the garage roof and landed on the cab.
87 Thunderbird LX, totaled, ex wife hit by someone running a stop sign.
89 Lincoln Mark VII, hail damage.
Several others that were bought as parts cars.

I’ve parted out several cars but I’m only aware of a scant few that absolutely went to the junkyard not long after I sold it. A 73 Camaro of mine was towed after a person crossed in front of me and I broadsided him. My 2006 was totaled after I was hit in the side. It was too far gone to fix at a reasonable cost.

06.JPG

02 score 2 - Copy.jpg

2006 1.JPG

2006 2.JPG

2006 3.JPG

01 face 34.jpg

Last edited:
All. (OK, not entirely true.) But most. After I stripped them for the valuables after I beat the crap out of them.

Only recently I've been more conscious. But haven't sold yet. Lol.

My first was a '73 Dart. Sent it to the yard because I'd schlepped it home and didn't realize the city would ***** if you parked a junker on the street....:realcrazy:
I'd had a 360 scrounged up from somewhere, and found a V8 K-frame at a salvage yard in Lexington. The guy I hired to rebuild the motor I'd found pulled the 360 apart and found it was roached, and I was too stupid to realize he'd want money to rebuild the motor.
I'm still a clueless idiot.

Funny story about that car...I'd set up Ebay to alert me to any Dodge Darts for sale within 120 miles of my area. This car came up from a junk yard that was closing down, and I looked, and the license plate...awfully familiar. I dug through my photos, and I had ONE of that car, and it had my license plate in the photo! I drove out there and paid $20 for the plate. The V8 K frame was still in the trunk. Which sucks, because I could use it now.

I also had a '72 Demon I'd bought without a title. I took what I could, and sent the rest to Recycle World. The 8 3/4 housing from that car is still in my buddy Chris's Dart after his roached a wheel bearing.

But! I saved a '75 Hang Ten from a scrapper in Aurora, MO (not R&R) and we towed it to the Nationals and a nice lady bought it from me and completely restored it, so that kinda makes up for the Demon. I've saved a couple others from Scrapperland, too, so that might count for something.

The only car I sold was my first GTX after 4th child was born. To buy a freaking minivan! I did what I had to do. But bought another 6 years ago to make up for that sin. And to arrest the bad dreams due to that sale. After kids grown. All other cars scraped or sold as parts car.

I am end of the line. Lol.

P.S. Bad dreams stopped after purchase of the 2nd GTX. (I've owed nothing but Plymouth in the classic car realm. And I can say with little hesitation that the '69 GTX is the finest car Plymouth ever built.)

JMO

one of my 64 darts wound up in a yard about 200mi from me. a friend saw my windshield banner on it and recognized what was left of the car. not a huge loss, but i guess the guys that bought it either ran out of money or enthusiasm. or just popped off the parts they wanted and adiosed the rest. which sucks because the body was all reinforced.

a 74 W200 wound up there after a whole bunch of title shenanigans. i yoinked the 440/727, divorced NP205, and danas out from under it and stuffed some trash in place to make a roller so PYP would take it.

a 73 D100 long box that was straight trash. it was technically a buddy's truck, but i'd done a rattle bomb rebuild on the 360 motor for him and had given him a good low miles 69 318 short block. it had puked the trans and then he sold it to one of his employees. then it got hit while it was sitting on the street so off to the junka junka for that thing.

i happened upon it by chance, the 318 short block was still in the bed, it only felt fitting to take both motors. they guys at the yard looked at me funny for buying two at the same time.

-
Back