How many quarts for trunk and engine bay?

-

ed mullen

Reaction score
I'm considering painting the engine bay and trunk of my wife's '70 4-door B5 Valiant, myself, with acrylic enamel.

How many quarts should this require?

I'd like to buy enough extra to temporarily cover patch panels, repairs etc. (It is a fair-weather daily driver, and I expect my wife doesn't want to drive around in primer until all the body work is finished--which could be 2-3 summers from now.) I figuere I'll sand it all down to epoxy primer and re-block it when it is 100% ready for a real paint job.

Please advise.

Thank you.

I'd say 2 quarts min that should be =/- a gallon sprayable. B5 should cover well. maybe 3Qts to be safe by the time you factor in under hood and trunk, maybe jams, it is a lot of area to cover.

I bought three quarts of unmixed paint to do my engine bay, upper control arms, brake calipers, and underside of my hood on my 71 Scamp. I still have probably a quart and a half at least. I think you'll be fine with a half gallon, or if you want to be sure you have enough with a little extra, go three quarts.

I bought one quart of 1K paint and painted the bay, door jambs, trunk gutter and still should have enough to do underside of trunk. This was metallic paint also. Just just a HVLP gun. I also did 2-3 coats on everything.

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess I'm going to buy a gallon, then, as the price of 3 qts is negligibly less.

-
Back