how much alternator do i need?

-

MoparOrNokar

HammerTime
Reaction score
Wondering how many amp alternator i will need and how to figure it out. Car is a 70 duster. I am running electronic ignition, holley blue pump, msd al6, electric radiator fan, and all the stock lights. I have a new 65 amp alt right now. Should i teade it in for a bigger one? Also do i need external or internal regulated and is there other vehicles i could steal it from?

One big question will be "what do the fans" draw? That will have a big effect

The next thing is, "exactly what" is this 65A unit? Some of the older ones had poorer low RPM performance, and that's a big factor for many. "They don't like" dimming lights at low RPM. For many of us, "it was normal life" back in the day.

External / Internal regulator, assuming either system is wired correctly will have no effect. I do NOT however like "one wire" alternators as a general rule.

YOU MUST UPGRADE your wiring for any of this to be very meaningful. Please read the MAD article:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

I second the suggestion based on experience. MAD is a great source. Stay away from one wire alternators but definitely invest in an aftermarket high performance unit and save yourself the headaches. For reference electric fans usually draw about 20-22 amps. Probably best just to go north of 85 amp alternator and upgrade wiring.

I forgot to mention, lots of guys are using "Denso" alternators. There are some threads on the board, here, if you do a search

-
Back