How much do your wheels turn inside of your slicks?

-

68 Notch Back

Reaction score
On a new set of Hoosier slicks with 16 PSI in each. I stuck a piece of tape on the tires aligned with the valve stems so I could tell if the wheel was turning in the tire. To my surprise, one side had turned about a quarter turn and the other side about a half turn.

Is this normal?
How much should they turn?

Thanks

They shouldn't turn any amount.

Most of us running slicks have holes drilled in our rims and screws installed to prevent that.

IMG_20170702_085502.jpg

I've seen them turn a few inches and less as time went on. I also swap the wheels/tires from side-to-side after every weekend to offset this and try to get equal wear on both. 1/4-1/2 turn is excessive but I've never heard of it that bad. It throws off the balance too!

Rim & tire beads should be clean & dry with only a minimal amount of soap/water, if any, used on the beads for mounting. If it keeps doing it, screws or beadlocks may be your only options.

I have 9" Hoosier radial slicks with high 1.40-low 1.50 60' times at 3,550+ lbs. - no screws. I run 21 lbs of air & last I checked, the moved an inch or two. But I haven't checked in a while. However, air pressure should be adjusted for traction, not to reduce rim slippage.

Use white shoe polish, and put a mark, from the tire to the wheel. -- Then You'll be able to determine how much movement there is.
Racing slick.JPG

Mine turned about a 1/8 of an inch and then stopped. (that was when i was running 20 psi. drilled rim, and threw some grabber screws in before i dropped my tire pressure below 20.
If you had tubes, it would help, but if you had tubes they would be shot with a 1/4 turn of the rim aka flat tire!

I ran 10 pounds of air and used rim screws from the very beginning. One day I lost traction for no apparent reason. Back in the pit area, I noticed that the cords were showing through my M & H 10 inch X 27 or 28 slicks. Had to pack up and go home. Had Greyhound ship me out another pair that week. Had maybe 200 runs on the old tires. Ran tubes in them too.

I was reading on the Hoosier web site, that you should inflate the tire not to exceed 40 lbs to seat the tire to the rims, then adjust the air pressure as needed. I inflated mine to 40# and let them sit for almost a week. I took it to the track last night and let the air out to 18# they did not move at all.

Thanks guys.

I use to win races cause a had no rim screws on the outside.I was running 32x16x15 Goodyears.They were tough to get broke down.

-
Back