How much does a 8 3/4 need to be shortened to fit a mini tub?

-

67yellowdartgt

Reaction score
I have a 1967 Dart that I am planning on Mini Tubbing. I have a 7 1/4 original rear that is coming out and being replaced with an early 8 3/4. I just picked up this 8 3/4 with 3.31 gear out of a 58 Fury. Question is, how much should It be shortened (what length should i go with?) to get the widest wheel with as little as possible backspacing (larger wheel lip)? Any ideas?

Also, this 8 3/4 has the older drum set up..What would I need to do and purchase to upgrade to rear dicc set for the larger wheels?

Thanks

I don't think I'd bother with that 58 rear end - it's got the tapered brake drums that need a HD brake drum puller. Even the B Body guys that have them up thru 64 don't care for them - they're always looking for a 65-70 8 & 3/4 to swap in. I don't think discs are even available for it. I'd look for something out of a B Body, van, etc to shorten. Just my 2c

with a narrowed housing you will need aftermarket axel's anyway so the 58 rear is a good candidate for the build.If you are serious about mini tubbing I would suggest you go ahead and do it then find the wheels and tires to fit in there and measure in between them and that will give you the dimension you need

moser or strange and it would be a good idea to give them a call to make sure they have axels for your application.I'm pretty sure it will work

Hay waggon you hit it on the hea. if he is cutting the axlehousing he can buy the newer ends and everthing will fit.

kinda sounds like what i was asking.are you guys sure the 58 carrier is the same tho. in case he wants a gear change? is spline count the same? a lot to take into consideration.I,m only asking because i dont know much about the old 8.75s

I was going to throw my 2bits in and say if you're gonna narrow it, add Ford ends to the axle tubes. There are way more disc brake setups for the Ford ends.....

I don't think you're going to gain a lot of space by mini-tubbing without moving your springs inward. The spring location is a bigger factor in how wide a tire you can run.

-
Back