How much HP and what do you think it will run.

-

max512wedge

Reaction score
512 cubic inch 440 block 440 source crank and H beam rods, billet main caps, victor heads and intake, 11.0 comp, Harland sharp roller rockers, isky cam 630 lift, Duration Don’t quote me maybe 280 ish I was in awe when I saw the engine and almost everything he said went in one ear and out the other LOL! 2 inch TTI exhaust, It going into a 72 duster that weighs 3260 with a full tank of gas that I weighed at a truck scale just after it had been recalibrated. How much Horsepower and what do you think it will run in my duster. Oh ya a 1000 cfm Holley carb.

IMG_0754.jpeg

IMG_0753.jpeg

512 cubic inch 440 block 440 source crank and H beam rods, billet main caps, victor heads and intake, 11.0 comp, Harland sharp roller rockers, isky cam 630 lift, Duration Don’t quote me maybe 280 ish I was in awe when I saw the engine and almost everything he said went in one ear and out the other LOL! 2 inch TTI exhaust, It going into a 72 duster that weighs 3260 with a full tank of gas that I weighed at a truck scale just after it had been recalibrated. How much Horsepower and what do you think it will run in my duster. Oh ya a 1000 cfm Holley carb.

View attachment 1716150818

View attachment 1716150819
I forgot to add I haven’t decided on gearing and torque converter so if you could give me some suggestions I would very much appreciate it. Thanks

Mid to low 10's if the the combo is finished correctly, and the chassis is also prepped to go that fast. In a typical street car, somewhere in the 11's.

I forgot to add I haven’t decided on gearing and torque converter so if you could give me some suggestions I would very much appreciate it. Thanks
It's going on a Dyno correct?
If so you'll have your data. You'll need to be looking at your peak torque numbers rpm and weight of car. The horsepower and weight can get you sorta close on a calculator. Then just make up your mind on which rpm you want to cross at and what your shift points need to be.
Chances are better 4.10-4.56.

That would be nice to go that fast. Do you have an estimate of HP!
I do, as I have a very similar build. 610HP at the crank. I would have to pull my dyno sheets to see what it was at tire. I was shocked at how much I lost, but it is an automatic. My Six speed the parasitic loss was quite a bit less. Once you figure out the lights (at track) you can run mid to high tens repeatedly and with consistency In 1/4. I think I was right at 508 CI? And I am right at 10.5:1 for compression. I can send you build sheet on motor if it helps you. 433 spooled 8 -3/4 My weight distribution is just almost 50/50 on the nut front to back. But note I run all fiberglass front end. PM if you want any additional details. Don’t want to derail your thread!

That would be nice to go that fast. Do you have a estimate of HP!
Are the heads ported ? If you have have that big of cam in the 280s at .050 I'd guess you will hit 660-700 hp is range at 6300 rpm.
Just for a reference I have 264 @ .050 in my 470 and make 675 HP at 5800 rpm

Pure sex right there!

If the victors are worked, should be over 700 hp easily.

If so you'll have your data. You'll need to be looking at your peak torque numbers rpm and weight of car. The horsepower and weight can get you sorta close on a calculator. Then just make up your mind on which rpm you want to cross at and what your shift points need to be.
I wanted to dyno it but my engine is one of his last and will be retiring at the end of the year. I’ve spent a small fortune on this engine to me and the wife has no idea how much I spent. Maybe I can change his mind to dyno it for me before he retires.

I wanted to dyno it but my engine is one of his last and will be retiring at the end of the year. I’ve spent a small fortune on this engine to me and the wife has no idea how much I spent. Maybe I can change his mind to dyno it for me before he retires.
Not to start a huge brawl as many will disagree but you as the owner set the parameters of the dyno pull. You set shift points. If you are concerned give them a lower RPM threshold like say 5000. Protects your motor and gives you a pretty good indication. Obviously you will not be able to see full potential or tune to it but it gives you some validation? Just thinking outside the box here a bit.

It will be more than a Briggs and Stratton and less than a top fuel engine.

Same here with the wife lol. Yeah hopefully he will because it sucks to guess on stuff like converter and gears. It can get expensive

Not to start a huge brawl as many will disagree but you as the owner set the parameters of the dyno pull. You set shift points. If you are concerned give them a lower RPM threshold like say 5000. Protects your motor and gives you a pretty good indication. Obviously you will not be able to see full potential or tune to it but it gives you some validation? Just thinking outside the box here a bit.
I have a sorta funny story as I am doing Dyno tuning on mine. I'm making peak power at or around 5800 rpm but 1 time the water brake absorber let go at 6000 and the engine spiked rpm at 7200...so I guess I built a winner but damn that scared the chit out of me lol

I have a sorta funny story as I am doing Dyno tuning on mine. I'm making peak power at or around 5800 rpm but 1 time the water brake absorber let go at 6000 and the engine spiked rpm at 7200...so I guess I built a winner but damn that scared the chit out of me lol
A testament to your building skills! The whole process of dyno pulls scares the crap out of me! I have only done it three times and was a nervous wreck each time. Them tuner guys are merciless! But worth their weight in gold!

A testament to your building skills! The whole process of dyno pulls scares the crap out of me! I have only done it three times and was a nervous wreck each time. Them tuner guys are merciless! But worth their weight in gold!
Thank you, I had a little help from a kicked off member lol but hell Yeah I was very nervous since this engine has already been torn down and rebuilt...and unfortunately paid for assembly last year a fresh engine that didn't even make it through the tuning process.

One of the members here didn't dyno his 572 before putting it in his car, and it looks like a lousy balance job was done (or, not done) by the shortblock builder, and the member had to yank it out and send it back.....and wait. Missed the drag week it was built for, lost his entry and room reservations, basically ruined his day.
In my opinion, and considering how much you have in it already, scrape the nickels together and dyno it.

As for what it will run, depends on how serious and well set-up your Duster is, gearing, trans, converter, and traction wise.
I've driven a friend's car, a very well set-up 67 GTX, with quite a bit less motor and more weight, to 10.60s. If yours is set up as well....... 10.25
Typical street car traction, converter and gearing? Low elevens.

im jealous, my 400 going to 512 Tork Monster block is still "seasoning" in the back yard
I figure that even with prudent shopping and waiting for deals, I can do a similar set up for $10-11K

did i remember correctly that stall is 300 rpm over max torque, dont forget to calculate converter slippage

Are the heads ported ? If you have have that big of cam in the 280s at .050 I'd guess you will hit 660-700 hp is range at 6300 rpm.
Just for a reference I have 264 @ .050 in my 470 and make 675 HP at 5800 rpm
Man I hope it makes that. I was going to have him port them to max wedge size but the money got tight. I might get them done when I go to a bigger cam later if I ever do.

-
Back