How much is to much?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I have been in the market for a 8 1/4 rear end to take the place of my 7 1/4 and I found a decent set up but I was told that I need to swap over to the B-body 10 inch drum breaks. My question is do I have any cheaper options and if not would it be best to just buy the breaks new or check out swap meets and craigslist?

I didnt know if I should post this under the drivetrain and transmission forums or brakes so I will prob. do both.

Not sure what the question is? I would look for an 8.25 out of an A body complete with brakes. Should swap right in if you get the spring/shock pads and u bolts with it. I would think you would be looking at $200 or $300 dollars for the complete rear end with brakes. Hopefully u bolts and spring/shock mounts included because you will need them.

you may have to change your wheels over to big bolt pattern not sure if all the 8.25 are BBP of if they made some SBP.

I don't know if you are interested, but I have a drum to drum LBP 8 1/4 w/3.55 posi for sale. PM me if interested. Local pick up only.

Like zhandful said find an 81/4 from 73 to 76 a body , or if that doesn,t work try f body ,s aspen , volare, fth ave , diplomat ect , i do not know about the b body brakes , never heard that one before .But you learn something new everyday

8 1/4's use 10x2.5" brakes, not like the 10x1.75's that came on SBP A bodies.

But 10x2.5" rear drums came on EVERYTHING else, including pretty much every mopar up to around 1989. Not just on B-bodies.

You can easily find the 10x2.5" set ups at the local wrecking yard on Diplomats, Aspens, 5th ave's etc all the way up to '89, and sometimes after that depending on the model.

Sorry if my question was confusing. In short I was just asking if they 10x2.5 brakes came on a specific car but that question was answered. So all I need to do is go to a junkyard and grab the brakes and it will bolt right onto my 8 1/4?

-
Back