how much of a job to change blinker switch???

-

swinger340

Reaction score
My blinker switch does not stay in the on position. I need to hold it when turning. Getting tired of it. How much of a job is it to change? Puller of some sort needed?

Very easy. Pull the steering wheel, take out a few screws, change out the plastic cam. While you're in there, take out the broken pieces which are most likely floating around the column somewhere.

My stalk keeps loosening up and it won't stay in position. Maybe your stalk is loose. I recommend loctite when you put it together. I also bought my turn signal switch and cancelling cam assembly from Napa. It goes pretty quickly and is pretty easy.

You'll be doing some clipping of wires and soldering too.
Plus it would be nice if the contact wires are in exactly the right places, unlike mine was.
I had to slightly tweak the contact wires to get the signals to work right and it was a pain in the you know what.

I used that exact part.

I had to slightly tweak the contact wires to get the signals to work right and it was a pain in the you know what.

Funny you say that, so did I last time I changed it. It has gotten to the point now that my tail lights do all kinda funky things when I'm driving. My wife was following me a while back (when she can keep up) and told me when we stopped that they were whacked out.

Sooooo..........now I gots to change it again. Probably have to tweak the connector wires again too.

Funny you say that, so did I last time I changed it. It has gotten to the point now that my tail lights do all kinda funky things when I'm driving. My wife was following me a while back (when she can keep up) and told me when we stopped that they were whacked out.

Sooooo..........now I gots to change it again. Probably have to tweak the connector wires again too.

Sucks don't it? :D
I hesitated to mention it even so as not to be the "dark cloud"

Sucks don't it? :D
I hesitated to mention it even so as not to be the "dark cloud"

Yup, after pulling the steering wheel, TWICE, I just left it off and kept tweaking until it was right. I have no idea why it started acting up again.

It has been about five or six years since I did this on my RR. I vaguely remember needing a steering wheel puller??? Am I mistaken. I do not need to do it again, I am just wondering.

It has been about five or six years since I did this on my RR. I vaguely remember needing a steering wheel puller??? Am I mistaken. I do not need to do it again, I am just wondering.

Puller is the best way, you can pull real hard with a little side to side motion and knock yourself out when it comes off. :D

I put my knees under it and push up with my feet while lightly taping the shaft with the nut backed off to where it's flush with the shaft end. (Less chance of messing up a thread)
Mine has an aluminum adapter so it comes off pretty easy.

I put my knees under it and push up with my feet while lightly taping the shaft with the nut backed off to where it's flush with the shaft end. (Less chance of messing up a thread)
Mine has an aluminum adapter so it comes off pretty easy.

It's a whole lot easier using a puller, they're really cheap (less than 5 bucks) and you won't booger up the nut or threads on the end of the shaft.

-
Back