How much Porting can be done on X Heads?

-

barnyardbarney

Reaction score
I was looking at purchasing a set of X Heads and I see there was alot of porting work done, especially on the exhaust ports. I was considering purchasing them so is there something I should be concerned about? Thanks

If yo don't know who ported them and you have the numbers to make sure they flow equal? I would stay away from them. Also if you don't weld up the pushrod holes , install offset rockers. and then take the pushrod bump out of the intake. Opening up the exhaust is a waist of time and will actually hurt low end torque. Don't waist your money on someone elses junk.

I was looking at purchasing a set of X Heads and I see there was alot of porting work done, especially on the exhaust ports. I was considering purchasing them so is there something I should be concerned about? Thanks

Got any pic of the porting?

Now...What you need to do is post pics of the ports so that those here who actually port heads and flow heads can weigh in on what u have.

The main thing about the exhaust ports that you need to look out for, is wether they have been enlarged beyond the bowl/valve diameter. too large on the exh creates slower air speeds...so as the air move past the valve/bowl and into a wider/larger area...it starts to slow down...and when it slows down..the faster air coming past the valve/bowl runs into it and the flow gets to be less, a road block 'so to speak'.

ALSO, when the short turn is laid back too much on the exhaust...the lower lift flow go's to chit...and you end up needing a lot more lift in order to get the higher flow numbers...so essentially , laying the exh short turn back too much will move the flow further up in the lift range.

pics and or flow numbers is what we need in order to give you the best advice possible.

if yo don't know who ported them and you have the numbers to make sure they flow equal? I would stay away from them. also if you don't weld up the pushrod holes , install offset rockers. And then take the pushrod bump out of the intake. Opening up the exhaust is a waist of time and will actually hurt low end torque. don't waist your money on someone elses junk.

wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the Feedback, they are for sale locally and I will see if I can get some Pics, and flow numbers. Thanks again.

-
Back