How much power through SN95 Mustang 8.8" rear (28 spline)?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, yeah...get an Explorer axle and modify it!
Well, some of us aren't welders and don't want to pay someone $1k to modify one. :D

Meanwhile, 1995-1998 SN95 Mustang axles are plentiful in junk yards, have almost exactly the same width as a B-Body 8.75" and will come with limited slip and disks....and they can be had for $250ish plus the cost of welding just the spring perches. A vastly simpler and cheaper way to go.

The biggest drawback is that these evidentially have 28 spline axles (unlike the 31 spline Explorer units?) so they're supposed to be a bit weaker.

How much weaker? Why aren't more guys going this route? Yes, I suspect there's a reason.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
well.... my dad's factory stock 5.0 broke one just by putting wider tires on it the other year so I'd say whatever a stock 5.0 and not much more

Well, some of us aren't welders and don't want to pay someone $1k to modify one. :D

Meanwhile, an SN95 Mustang axles are plentiful in junk yards, have almost exactly the same width as a B-Body 8.75" and will come with limited slip and disks....and they can be had for $250ish plus the cost of welding just the spring perches. A vastly simpler and cheaper way to go.

The biggest drawback is that these evidentially have 28 spline axles (unlike the 31 spline Explorer units?) so they're supposed to be a bit weaker.

How much weaker? Why aren't more guys going this route? Yes, I suspect there's a reason.

Thanks for an input.
and hunt junkyards/swap meets. i got my a body one complete for 275 bucks just 2 years ago at a swap meet.

well.... my dad's factory stock 5.0 broke one just by putting wider tires on it the other year so I'd say whatever a stock 5.0 and not much more

Seriously...that's not a good sign. No slicks or anything?

and hunt junkyards/swap meets. i got my a body one complete for 275 bucks just 2 years ago at a swap meet.

Dukeboy, you hit the lottery. :)

Sheesh...well, this is probably the reason why guys don't use them. Is this a common experience or did he possibly have a bad unit?

Ya got that right!
its fairly common. theres a reason those 8.8 in mustangs have the rep they do. You'd be better off keeping the 7.25 than going with a stang 8.8. An explorer 8.8 is stronger and theres a few guys running them on here with mild engines with no problems.

I have several friends that drag race fox body mustangs and have no problems with the 8.8 rears including 28 spline axles.

Where did you get the $1K to modify one? Services

Also I've never had an issue with 8.8's. Lots of guys drag race with them really hard in their fox body mustangs without a problem. The 28 spline axles are the weakest axle they offered, but you can upgrade the axle and carrier later if you need to.

Never had an issue with a Mustang 8.8. The T5 would let go long before the rear end. Any rear end can break, my dads Merc 410 broke a Dana 60.

Last edited:

Meanwhile, 1995-1998 SN95 Mustang axles are plentiful in junk yards, have almost exactly the same width as a B-Body 8.75" and will come with limited slip and disks....and they can be had for $250ish plus the cost of welding just the spring perches. A vastly simpler and cheaper way to go.

Thanks for any input.

28 spline axles are good for up to 450-horsepower stick trans ,,, 500 auto trans ----after that you are pushing the limit for the axles,,, the 8.8 is an extremely strong axle as the mustang drivers have proven -- don't be afraid of using it. lots of gear choices and other upgrades if horse power is increased. and plentiful and cheap.

The 8.8 is good but requires maintenance and proper setup. The clutch discs wear out, but are fairly easy to replace in the car. I did my clutch packs on my 86 Fox body in a couple of hours on the ground. Replaced axle seals while I was at it. They need friction modifier additive also, but I believe modern gear oils have the modifier in it now.

I thought there was a reason the mustang won't fit. I know you don't get lower gears with them as the Explorer does.

-
Back