How much "slop"??

-

64ragtop

Reaction score
I've been hearing a "clunk" when shifting from reverse to forward gears in the ragtop. Been ASSuming that it was a U-joint getting flakey, like I've dealt with before. Put the car up on jackstands and turned the driveshaft expecting to see the slack in the U-joint, but didn't - it's in the rear housing. to make sure, I turned the yoke, not the driveshaft. It seems like there's about 1/4 inch of play. It's an 8.25, non Sure Grip. Is this something to worry about NOW, or plan a rebuild in the not too distant future, or use a thicker differential lube and don't worry? "yeah, SURE" on that last option - I've never had that kind of luck!

One thing you want to make sure is that your idle on your engine is not too high, lowering the rpm's will help with the clunk. I had a 73 Duster that did this (7 1/4 rear) and I was nervous that it was not going to last. If you drive the car a lot you may want to get it checked out or fixed. Heavier weight lube, wouldn't hurt to try it!

Believe it or not, my Barracuda did that brand new. Had it back 3 times before they got it right. It now has quite a few more milesand a new carrier, but I put 90,000 on that rear without a hint of trouble. It is a 8 3/4, with 3:23's.

1/4 inch is alot of slop but my old Dakota with a 8-1/4 had that much play by the time I checked it out at approx. 70,000 miles and I raced it alot and it went to over 120,000 miles before the rear let go. It ran mid 14's in the 1/4 so it stressed the rearend pretty much considering the ammount of slop. Things like this are really hard to predict though. If I were you I'd pull the rear cover and check things out and if it don't look too bad fill it with new lube.

-
Back