How much spring pressure is too much?

-

73Scamp318

Reaction score
I recently spoke to Lunati over the phone about one of their cams (10200705, the big Voodoo for a small block) and the set of Comp 987-16 valve springs I got as a gift.

With the 1.6 rockers I have on my Edelbrock heads and at a 1.800" installed height, the pressures work out to be 120 lbs closed and, on the exhaust, right at 340 lbs open @ .590" lift. I would expect that the pressures will be lower after it's all broken-in.

The Lunati tech said that was on the upper limits of what the recommend on hydraulic lifters, with their cap being 350 lbs, but he didn't think there would be a problem running it. He also strongly advised that I run a high zinc oil, which I was planning on doing.

Is this too much pressure for a street/strip engine? What would be a safe limit? Anyone run pressures this high on a street/strip flat tappet hydraulic? How did it hold up?

Your actual lift at the valve isn't going to be the theoretical. It's likely going to be about .560-.565

That will give you a rate around 330 open

The spring lunati recommends is 115 at 1.700 and 336 at 1.150 with a 402 rate

That comp spring is 120 at 1.800 324 at 1.250 with a 370 rate.

The comp spring is really lighter than the one lunati recommends which is the same as a 995 comp spring.

Thanks for the info, it sounds like the springs I have should work okay with that cam.

I guess what I'm asking is with the higher pressures, does the cam and lifter set turn into a wear item, where it will need to be replaced every so often? I'm assuming that it breaks-in okay, I use the recommended oil, and don't end its life early by screwing something up.

You should be fine as long as you break in the cam properly. Don't forget to remove the inner springs for the break-in process to give the cam a good shot at surviving.

And no to your other question...if taken care of, you should not be wearing down the cam fast. I would check it whenever you tear the engine down for a refresh (years down the road), but that's it.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to pull the inner springs for break-in.

That was what I was wondering about the life of the cam, thanks flyfish. :-D

-
Back