how much will they take

-

WIKD71RICK

Reaction score
i have a 71 duster i just put a 512 pump gas motor in.645 h.p at flywheel and a 12" wide tire. no trans brake.i am putting cal tracs and relocator kit in.street/strip.will drag race 6-8 times a year.do you think the 8 3/4 will hold up.:read2:

Depends on the center section your using. That being said if you break it and the rear housing is a stock a body unit, Id sell it and just buy a Dana 60. If (by some dumb luck) you break the Dana 60, your pretty much done with cars are you can buy Rockwell axle (and go luck getting that axle in the car! Take pictures if you do because I wanna see that!!!!).

I have two center sections both 742 one with 3:91 and the other 4:30 running et street tires.wht do you think a dana will cost

Run the 4.30's you should be fine using an automatic if it were a 4-speed i lean towards the dana,plenty of guys running 9's with 8 3/4's..:-D:-D

from my understanding as long as it not a heavy car, or being t-braked it should be ok for some time.so guys say they have been in the 9's with them and no problem...i have 2 and im doing a big block looking to make about 750/800 if i can and will use 1 unless i get a great deal on a dana..also it would help live if you had good axles,spool,and caps..thats another reason i may use my 8 3/4 i have moser axles now and plan a full spool.. mike

let us know how it runs for you..

Forgot to ask is the 8 3/4 stock?? as in stock axles,factory gears,stock pinion yoke,stock u-joints..if so you'll deffinately need to upgrade..i'm running Moser axles with a spool,nodular center section,4.30 gears,1350 billet yoke last thing i'm worried about is breaking the rear...by the way i've seen the "can handle anything" dana 60 grenade more then a few times...

I bought the car with the rear end in it.I dont know whats in there.I think i should take a look

i would, and if its a stock a body, I'd sell the 8 3/4 with all the parts I have for it and just by a Dana 60

I would build a 60, find one cheap out of truck, narrow it and put in custom axles.
I just sold a rear 60 out of a truck with 4.10 in it complete for $100.00.
Actually had a hard time selling it because it was out of a 68 power wagon.

-
Back