How Painless is it second time around

-

67Signet

Smoke and chaos stunt coordinator
Reaction score
Starting on the electrical on my 67 Dart with a 360
I purchased the car as a roller now has a 71 la 360 with j heads 4 barrel
I will set it up as stock then add my msd and electronic ignition
I do have a stock wire harness from another v8 67 Dart but I like the idea of better wiring and connections and I will be adding a nice stereo heated power seats and other creature comforts
Heres my problem:
I have no documentation about harness. I dont know witch one it is

and need help
I will be able to post pictures as I go . this Dart has a complete head to tail Painless wire harness.
Doesnt look to tough some of it is marked but in the interest of time and maybe some frustration I need some help.
What should I look for beware of, Battery already wired to trunk from PO
Do I start at Dizzy and go from there?
thank you for all who put there .02 cents in!:notworth:
Bruce B

I bought "most of" a Painless 10203 (pickup, GM column) someone had just started to use, a few of the instrument panel wires were trimmed, and most of the hardware is gone. PAINLESS WANTS over 400 bucks!!! for the thing. I think I paid the guy (Craigslist) around 125 US.

I finally "cut" all the extra BS free until I only had the fuse panel, which is VERY poorly documented

I finally turned it around and traced out all the interconnects, buss, etc.

One thing I REALLY don't like is the way Painful wired the "accessory" busses.

For example, the "switched" radio is on the same buss as wipers, and fuel pump.

Now you sure as hell don't want the pump running on "accessory" and you MIGHT want to run the radio. Pretty poor engineering if ya ask me

Also the separate wire they show as "alternator exite" is not even fused!!! That one will go, and the regulator will run off "ign run" just like it used to.

One thing I did today is pickup two Junkyard engine room relay/ fuse panels. The BEST candidate (20 bucks) is out of a Dodge Caravan, has several nice relays and fuses. It will mount really nice on the fenderwell left side.

By the way, I'm doing away with the bulkhead "on the cheap." I'm just threading the wires right through the original holes, trying to maintain the same layout. That is, "hi beam" "low beam" etc are in the original holes to make tracing easier.

So i get a clear idea of how the factory had it.
then see how painless wants it and see if I can get er done!
I'm starting at engine distributor and will work my way back.
Once I'm familiar I will add the newer tech Mallory dizzy , MSD 6a and such
My hope would be someone has diagram or chart for the DART? kit
I found some documentation on Painless website but even then its better to hear from someone who has been there.
thanks again

-
Back