How "porous" is red primer?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Sometimes I like the look of RustOleum red primer (usually the rusty metal primer) and don't use a top/color coat. The first time I did this was back in the '70's when I painted an 8 3/4 rear end before swapping it into my '65 Valiant. I also used the same paint for the interior cast surfaces of my bracket race motors. For the five years I kept the car after that, the primed parts held up almost the same as the day they were painted. I am still doing this on certain parts because I prefer the red oxide look or because the parts are hidden from view.

Last night, I was reading an article on the internet that mentioned how primers are porous, and now I wonder exactly what that means and what the long-term effects might be. Maybe this "porosity" was aimed more at normal body undercoatings and not the high pigment content of the RustOleum I use. Comments?

I'm not a body guy , but I'm pretty sure they are talking about a non epoxy type primer. You can still get rust forming unless it is a "sealer" primer.

I know guys that have cars that are just in primer that have been that way for 5+ years with no issues. They all use an epoxy primer.

While I've read and heard the same things you have about primers, I've had very good results with the Rusty Metal Primer. I prefer it to "coatings".
I've been doing this long enough to say my results are time tested.
I overcoat it with other primer before topcoating because of the fish oil base.
I just sprayed it inside some rocker panels to preserve them.
Other than Dinotrol, it's the best thing I know of.
I wouldn't worry about top coating it,
Read the Amazon reviews.

non activated primers are very porous. Generally the ingredient that gives primer body is talc which absorbs water easily. I have found that even activated primers dont prevent rust if they have been scratched.

I guess if your red primer went on thick enough it could help prevent rust, but its also likely hiding it.

I was looking up primers under TCP GLOBAL on the puter, I use their stuff mainly because I have problems with paints even with good respirator ( I know I need a fresh air suit), and I can get some low VOC from them. I ud=se thei primers, urethane paints, papers etc..... yes they are and ship SLOW!!!!!

they do offer a red oxide color in their epoxy DTM. I have gotten great results with their DTM primer over bare metal, the stuff like ugly on an ape to any GOOD surface. with activator $140/ gal or so., more or less. add reducer for it to be used a sealer, which I do.

like mentioned the old red oxide laquer primers are totally old school and not in the league of modern materials, I think. you can get this primer in red oxoide, grey, black, white. I admit i'm no expert, but have messed with auto primers and paints since the 60's BUT i'm NO bodyman!!!!!
hhhha

i'm sure like anything the more $$ ya pay for any paint materials the better quality, and life it offers. but I don't build mega show cars just try ot have NBO rust, decently straight DRIVERS! if the chemical didn't bother me,, a nd the cost bust my budget, I personally would use PPG products. I have had good results with DuPont, but I have nothing to complain about TCP products.....

regular primer over bare metal will rust if exposed to moisture.
if you want it for cosmetics paint with regular paint as you normally would..
sand w/400 and top coat with primer as your "finish"
.. or primer and clear coat "satin"

-
Back