How Rare? S83 1970 wheel

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
Ive been on the hunt for quite some time for another S83 wheel for my 70' Dart. my car came with one factory, but its beyond repair at this point and I replaced it with a Grant crappo tuff wheel.

im just curious how rare this particular wheel is? they only repop the center pad and ive had a hell of a time finding one. ive just made a deal and next weekend my dad will be picking up a 70 dart column with the s83 wheel for what I think is a remarkable deal if the wheel works. I know some don't like them at all, but I think its a great look for a bench seat car!​

That's what im buying. looks like it may need a lil work but if its got less cracks and has all its hardware im god to go!

That's ugly hahah looks like a wheel out of a truck, but hey what ever floats your boat.

The wooden Tuff wheel always floated mine ;)

Attachments

• 100_0728%20(Copy).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 266
Pretty Deluxe wheel for 1970. I wouldnt have guessed it was available in 70.

I like both but I fell the tuff wheel is too sporty for my car. my car is gonna be 340 swinger clone on the exterior, but im restoring the factory granny style interior to original.

Kramer, I had a new 70 plymouth duster 340 that had that wheel. One night in early 1973 my dad woke me at 5A.M. because my horn was going off. By the time I got out there and got the battery post off it had smoked my under dash wiring harness. I guess somehow the "squeeze" the wheel for the horn must have shorted out. I got another harness from the junkyard and had everything working but the gas gauge,in dash tach, and of course the horn. I don't think I wuld ever want one again.
Howard

I think they are pretty damn rare, that was the top of the line steering wheel option for the Dart in 1970 and commanded a high price when ordering new. I have one on my dart, and its way past the point of restoring. Unfortunatley I have never seen one for sale. Grab that column and don't ever look back.

all over it. hoping its as good as it seems in pics. according to the owner, it came of a dart that was wrecked many years ago by his dad, I believe. said it worked fine then and should be fine. fingers tightly crossed!

That's the same wheel my 70 Duster 340 came with.. Of course mine says Plymouth and not Dodge.. Rim blow didn't work and I liked the tuff wheel better so I went that route.. I agree that it would look good with a bench seat ...

there was a service update for the wheel so it would not accidentally go off in the heat. It said to take the wheel apart and deepen the channel where the rimblow switch was. either file the plastic or score it so that the switch had room to expand.
I left my car home and went to the National's in the 90's and when I came home the harness had burned from the horn switch to the horns and killed the battery

there was a service update for the wheel so it would not accidentally go off in the heat. It said to take the wheel apart and deepen the channel where the rimblow switch was. either file the plastic or score it so that the switch had room to expand.
I left my car home and went to the National's in the 90's and when I came home the harness had burned from the horn switch to the horns and killed the battery

will keep that in mind

HA! I cant believe that....I had one in my 1970 Dart Swinger as well. Car was cherry when I got it, I'm the second owner. (car is still cherry, LOL) It had 90,000 miles on it. Interior, and that steering wheel was PERFECT..

But damn, I threw that sucker away, I thought it was ugly. I had no idea it would be worth something. Damn.

HA! I cant believe that....I had one in my 1970 Dart Swinger as well. Car was cherry when I got it, I'm the second owner. (car is still cherry, LOL) It had 90,000 miles on it. Interior, and that steering wheel was PERFECT..

But damn, I threw that sucker away, I thought it was ugly. I had no idea it would be worth something. Damn.

Hell shoulda hung onto it cuz I woulda bought it! such is life, eh?

The car I had that had that wheel was an FC7 purple 340 duster that was a 340 4 speed with 3.23 rear end. It had the deluxe interior with a split bench seat chrome bezels around the pedals and the factory tach in the dash. It was a stripe delete car. The steering wheel always felt uncomfortable to me, especially with manual steering. I didn't like it but after the horn stuck and burned up the wiring I hated the ugly thing. This all took place 40 years ago just 2 weeks before I got married. A couple years later I sold the car to a young kid that worked with me. He trashed it, burned the clutch out a week after he bought it. I never missed it and I still have my wife to which I am extremely grateful.
Howard

-
Back