How should I clean paint off dual scoops?

-

65s

Reaction score
Thanks to "crackedback" I am now the owner of a decent pair of dual hood scoops, but they have multiple layers of cracked/chipped paint. What's the best way to clean this stuff off? I'm thinking chemical stripper, but I'm afraid it might damage the composite polymer they're made from. Sanding would take me until I'm old and grey. Pressure washing maybe?

I would say a chemical striper is your best bet.. But im thinking you should go and see some strippers just to make sure.. You know.. that strippers will work. hehe

An old model car builders trick is to soak the piece, that your wanting to take the paint off of, in good old fashioned DOT 3 Brake fluid. If your worried about any possible side effect to the piece, test the brake fluid in an inconspicous spot, let it set on it for a day and see if any thing happens to it. Brake fluid is the best thing I know of that will strip paint but not affect plastics or fiberglass.

Good tips guys, thanks. I might still have to try a stripper though. :)

I'll let you know tomorrow Neil. I am going to try the nylon stripping wheel on mine. It worked fantastic on the car and other parts.

krabysniper said:
An old model car builders trick is to soak the piece, that your wanting to take the paint off of, in good old fashioned DOT 3 Brake fluid. If your worried about any possible side effect to the piece, test the brake fluid in an inconspicous spot, let it set on it for a day and see if any thing happens to it. Brake fluid is the best thing I know of that will strip paint but not affect plastics or fiberglass.

This is very affective :thumbup:

The scoops are sitting under brake fluid right now. After an hour it was definitely working. Hopefully tomorrow I don't go out to find an expensive mound of plastic/brake fluid melted to the floor!

Well it sorta worked. Some elbow grease and sandpaper was needed too but now they're looking pretty darn good. Thanks.

-
Back