How similar is the '66 Valiant VC compared to my '66 US Dart?

-

1966DartConvertible

Reaction score
Hi there.

I've been searching parts to restore my '66 dart convertible's suspension & steering. Being in Malaysia, it is a LOT cheaper to order from Australia than the US.

I understand that the Dart was marketed as Chrysler Valiant in Aust and my '66 dart is very similar to the '66 Valiant VC. (other than the 111" vs 106" wheelbase they are essentially the same car)

Am I correct? Im just about to order heaps of stuff from here:

https://www.pentastarparts.com.au/

and before I do, i just want expert advice from you guys here (as far as bushings and brake shoes/wheel cyls are concern)

Looking forward for any help! Cant wait to get my hands dirty!

Cheers

Syed

I don't know what the "VC" is in your description. In general, all the parts are the same across the company, not just car lines/body style platform. Though certain models recieved bigger front end parts mostly due to bigger engines or performance packages. I'd recomend the bigger beefier parts when you can get them over standard parts if you can. They last longer.

I also here good things about that place you want to order from.

I don't know what the "VC" is in your description. In general, all the parts are the same across the company, not just car lines/body style platform. Though certain models recieved bigger front end parts mostly due to bigger engines or performance packages. I'd recomend the bigger beefier parts when you can get them over standard parts if you can. They last longer.

I also here good things about that place you want to order from.

You can read more info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Valiant

The VC is just a model designation - it goes from AP5,AP6, VC, VE, VF... and so on.

Cheers

Syed

There are similarities and differences. Engine and transmission parts are almost all the same, with the possible exception of some externals (starter motor comes to mind; the VC got an Australian-made Bosch direct-drive starter not interchangeable with the US-type Chrysler-built gear-reduction item). Other components are different but interchangeable (late VCs got an Australian-made alternator). Brake parts are largely similar. Ball joints, control arms, torsion bars, rear springs are all going to be the same. Windscreen and gasket are the same. Your car appears to have a VC dashboard in it. Rear axles are interchangeable as an assembly, but they are different so subcomponents won't swap. Body hardware (door latches, etc.) will swap, but the only 2-door VCs were the utes (pickup trucks). Other than that, there's no interchange between a VC and your car as regards trim, grille, hood, taillights, trunk/deck/boot lid, bumpers, etc.

There are similarities and differences. Engine and transmission parts are almost all the same, with the possible exception of some externals (starter motor comes to mind; the VC got an Australian-made Bosch direct-drive starter not interchangeable with the US-type Chrysler-built gear-reduction item). Other components are different but interchangeable (late VCs got an Australian-made alternator). Brake parts are largely similar. Ball joints, control arms, torsion bars, rear springs are all going to be the same. Windscreen and gasket are the same. Your car appears to have a VC dashboard in it. Rear axles are interchangeable as an assembly, but they are different so subcomponents won't swap. Body hardware (door latches, etc.) will swap, but the only 2-door VCs were the utes (pickup trucks). Other than that, there's no interchange between a VC and your car as regards trim, grille, hood, taillights, trunk/deck/boot lid, bumpers, etc.

Cheers Dan,

Thats what i need to hear :)

Im basically changing the bushings for the suspensions front and rear, and replacing the 9" drum brake shoes and master cyls. So I reckon they are the same i.e. early Valiant VCs suspension and brakes are the same as early US Darts?

Thanx again.

Syed

I have been happily buying Australian Valiant parts from Blue Star Spares for about two decades now. Their website isn't as slick, though.

Oh, and BTW, if your car is Canadian-built, it may have a Canadian "Auto-Lite" (Prestolite) starter motor that is directly replaceable by an Australian direct-drive Bosch starter from an AP5-AP6-VC-VE with slant-6.

I have been happily buying Australian Valiant parts from Blue Star Spares for about two decades now. Their website isn't as slick, though.

Oh, and BTW, if your car is Canadian-built, it may have a Canadian "Auto-Lite" (Prestolite) starter motor that is directly replaceable by an Australian direct-drive Bosch starter from an AP5-AP6-VC-VE with slant-6.

Thanks again, Dan.

I browsed their website and found out most parts are generally about 15% more expansive than pentastar. They dont have as many parts either.

Im just puzzled why my emails were not answered... hmm... time to call them i guess...

Finally... received an email from Pentastar:

"Syed,

Firstly, I apologize for the lengthy delay in replying, we have been
short-staffed this past few days and flat-out. Yes, your 1966 Dodge Dart RHD
will share front/rear suspension and steering components from our Australian
Pre-66 A-Body Valiant. We stock the parts you need.

Kind regards,

Ray Webb (Jr)"

-
Back