How strokers affect how a cam "acts"

-
My point was and still is you can't make a cam do what you need gearing to do.

That's pretty simple.

Agreed

Plus that's why I think everyone going stroker cause they don't want to properly gear it so they add cid instead.

Cause I say so (basically saying) isn't really a reply but since this conversation beneath you. I'll drop it lol

I didn't mean it like that at all. Not one single bit.

Well looks like income levels have changed. So what about the comp 274/280 236/242 at .050 .564/.570 lift with 4.88s and a 3000 stall converter? still a solid roller

I think what Hughes engines means on their site is: most cams are listed for a 3.58 stroke. Once you go 4", the extra stroke soaks up a negligible amount of duration. So shop for a slightly higher duration when going stroker, because it will act differently than the same cam in a 360.

That being said, I have a warm 360 in a ramcharger similar to yours. RHS heads, quench pad pistons, roller everything 224/230 retarded 4*, .534/.534, headers and duals, ld340 intake, 9.4:1, vac holley - tuned, and I live at 6400'. Truck is 3.23's, 32" tires and a 727 w/ stock TC. Yeah the engine doesn't match but I ran out of money and it gets me around. It's slow at first but has plenty of power when I get over 2500. Obviously I have a gearing problem but it runs better than expected. And anything over 85 in a ramcharger is a little scary anyways. In the ramcharger world, anything over 3.93 gearing under 33" tires is on the better side. Hope this helps

I think what Hughes engines means on their site is: most cams are listed for a 3.58 stroke. Once you go 4", the extra stroke soaks up a negligible amount of duration. So shop for a slightly higher duration when going stroker, because it will act differently than the same cam in a 360.

That being said, I have a warm 360 in a ramcharger similar to yours. RHS heads, quench pad pistons, roller everything 224/230 retarded 4*, .534/.534, headers and duals, ld340 intake, 9.4:1, vac holley - tuned, and I live at 6400'. Truck is 3.23's, 32" tires and a 727 w/ stock TC. Yeah the engine doesn't match but I ran out of money and it gets me around. It's slow at first but has plenty of power when I get over 2500. Obviously I have a gearing problem but it runs better than expected. And anything over 85 in a ramcharger is a little scary anyways. In the ramcharger world, anything over 3.93 gearing under 33" tires is on the better side. Hope this helps

Not to hijack and talk about your setup. But why is the cam retarded? I bet if you advanced that cam 4-6 degrees it would pickup huge on the bottom end.

Not to hijack and talk about your setup. But why is the cam retarded? I bet if you advanced that cam 4-6 degrees it would pickup huge on the bottom end.

My mistake. Went and looked at the blueprint. It's 4* advanced, not retarded. And the point of it was exactly that - to pick up some low end torque.

-
Back