How They Build Them

-

greg r

Reaction score
I found this fascinating Youtube of early production of cars. It's Chevrolet in this one, but methods were common to all manufacturers. I was lucky to read some editions of Automotive and Aviation Industries, an industry magazine catering to the airplane and auto industries at the time; and they way they innovated production techniques was amazing. With some recent posts on cooling systems and the "freeze" or core plugs definition; at about 9minutes in to about 10 minutes they're setting up molds and pouring engine blocks; then the shaker tables to help get the sand out prior to final finish and assembly. Way interesting all the way through, hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:
Thank you for that! That was awesome!
I love old videos like that.

Amazing the amount of labor and the investment on tooling that went into one of those cars .....wow!

Jeff

There was an article in Automotive and Aviation Industries on Ford's "boneyard". They put a lot of old machinery to pasture over the years, and routinely it was resurrected and modified for retooling prior to a new design or model. I wish I could remember the name of the head of engineering who was famous for not reinventing the wheel as they say.

-
Back