How tight to set solid lifters

-
The Lunati in my 440/495 calls for .020 INT .022 EXH hot lash.
I don't lash them hot most of the time, I do it cold and since I have aluminum heads, I set them .006 tighter which....once the engine warms up, result in .020 and .022.

.014 INT, .016 EXH cold. It works.

Block MaterialHead MaterialLash Adjustment
IronIronAdd 0.002”
IronAluminumSubtract 0.006”
AluminumAluminumSubtract 0.012”

Last edited:
The Lunati in my 440/495 calls for .020 INT .022 EXH hot lash.
I don't lash them hot most of the time, I do it cold and since I have aluminum heads, I set them .006 tighter which....once the engine warms up, result in .020 and .022.

.014 INT, .016 EXH cold. It works.

Block MaterialHead MaterialLash Adjustment
IronIronAdd 0.002”
IronAluminumSubtract 0.006”
AluminumAluminumSubtract 0.012”
Yeah but this table is the same advice I followed for iron/iron and set mine cold at .016 (the hot setting is .014). I checked them hot after reading all this debate and they were at .018...
I then did them all again at .012.
I didn't mind as I actually learned something - that real life experience trumps the general consensus.

No, for the second time, mass does NOT matter. Take a piece of flat steel strip, 1" wide, 1/8" thick & 9" long.

Heat it up so that the temp difference between hot & cold is 100*. Measure the 9" length before & after heating to see how much it has expanded with the heat.

Now take a piece of steel 1" wide, 1/4" thick & 9"long. Repeat the heating experiment. The 9" length has expanded the same amount, but the piece of steel is twice as heavy......

I’m talking about a casting, not a flat strip of steel.

Evidently, you’ve never watched a blown engine warm up. You can watch the blower belt tighten up as the temperature comes up.

Even an iron block and iron head combo will grow a bunch with heat.

There is no such thing as an engine that loses lash with heat.

The chart that Kern Dog posted is exactly wrong.

Hi all
I had posted earlier about a bbc I just put together for a blown jet boat.
I set the valves cold at .018
Took it to the lake the other day after running it around I put it on the trailer
Pulled the valve covers off with the Engine Hot the lash was now at .023
It had grown. 005 from cold to hot.
The cam spec is .022 hot
Pretty close.
This is a iron block with aluminum heads.
Also it only gets to 150 degrees.
In a car I would expect the lash to grow a little more around 180-200 ish...
Just my experience
Carry on

My cam card. And was told 16 18 hot with aluminum heads.

20230210_121945.jpg

Last edited:
Newbomb Turk,
You still don't get it....& probably never will.
It doesn't matter what the shape is....casting, flat piece of steel...or pushrod...the same principle...& measurements apply.

Newbomb Turk,
You still don't get it....& probably never will.
It doesn't matter what the shape is....casting, flat piece of steel...or pushrod...the same principle...& measurements apply.

Not in the real world. Other than one guy on here, no one has EVER had an engine lose lash with heat.

Not in the real world. Other than one guy on here, no one has EVER had an engine lose lash with heat.
I probably missed it but I scrolled through and couldn't find it. Did someone say that they had an engine that lost lash with heat?

I’m talking about a casting, not a flat strip of steel.

Evidently, you’ve never watched a blown engine warm up. You can watch the blower belt tighten up as the temperature comes up.

Even an iron block and iron head combo will grow a bunch with heat.

There is no such thing as an engine that loses lash with heat.

The chart that Kern Dog posted is exactly wrong.
You sure can. I've witnessed that first hand. Belt flops all around when cold but when hit it tightens right up.

I probably missed it but I scrolled through and couldn't find it. Did someone say that they had an engine that lost lash with heat?

Yes. I forget who it was, but someone here said they checked the hot lash and it tightened up.

I’m pretty sure the OP did the same and his lash was looser hot.

-
Back