How to adjust timing if you can't see the timing marks?

-
Sorry to hijack but nice radiator BTW how do you like it? I got an ECP rad for my Duster as well, works great so far and the fit was excellent for being aftermarket!

It's a great radiator even though I needed to drill some mounting holes. Not so thrilled with the fan set-up I have. It does the job but I would have gone with a mechanical fan had the engine not come with the serpentine belt system.

I actually got the same radiator for my Barracuda and it works great too. But the Barracuda's got some Eastman radiator paint to help disguise it!

It's a great radiator even though I needed to drill some mounting holes. Not so thrilled with the fan set-up I have. It does the job but I would have gone with a mechanical fan had the engine not come with the serpentine belt system.

I actually got the same radiator for my Barracuda and it works great too. But the Barracuda's got some Eastman radiator paint to help disguise it!

I did the same, painted the top tank and lightly on the front of the core with black Krylon paint+primer so you can't see it through the grill (looks ugly to me), I had to drill some mounting holes too nothing difficult though. Stock shroud and clutch fan fit great, I just wish the fitting for the overflow tank was on the opposite side of the neck.

if it pings at WOT just back off a little on timing....not rocket science
We used to use this method every day at the dealers and shops I worked at 40 years ago.

Fuel quality varied wildly between brands both name brands and off brands.

We got tons of complaints about pinging after a tune up. So we'd ask the customer to fill the tank with his favorite flavor if gas from his favorite station (many had water issues with their gas). Then we'd adjust the timing for the gas they were burning.

There was no other way.

The good thing was customers were loyal.nto a certain brand or station. They knew about cheap gas and tried to watch what they bought... No federal guidelines back then.

-
Back