How to attach fiberglass hood

-
The claim has always been (at least that's the way I heard it) a tenth for a hundred pounds. So theoretically, you should have picked up . 075. More than that, maybe due to more cold air. Less than that, maybe look at your mph, drag from not having a hood might show up there.
(I'm curious what "significantly" is?)
Edit: did they make you run something over the carb? I was told that since I also run with no hood, I have to run an aircleaner or scoop or something, assuming for a carb backfire, I guess.
About .15, but I think there is more involved than just the hood weight. Went from 6.48 to 6.33

Not yet. Best price I can find is Glory Days Fiberglass.
Unlimited products (www.UP22.com) here in California has a pretty good selection of Duster hoods, starting at less than $300 for a flat hood, six pack and cowl scoops of various heights integrated available.
You will find BAD reviews for their stuff, but they are mostly from the companies previous owners, new owners, new stuff is supposed to be much better.
I can NOT give a personal recommendation, I haven't used any of their stuff, they don't make anything for my 62 Savoy or Opel GT. Got a scoop on the Savoy, no hood on the opel.
But if I wanted something from them, I could just go to their shop, pick it up and inspect it, and carry it home , avoiding crating and shipping charges.
I would look for somebody local to you, so that you might be able to do the same thing..
IF YOU DO buy something from California or Pennsylvania, make sure it is insured, and inspect the part before you sign anything from the delivery company.

Unlimited products (www.UP22.com) here in California has a pretty good selection of Duster hoods, starting at less than $300 for a flat hood, six pack and cowl scoops of various heights integrated available.
You will find BAD reviews for their stuff, but they are mostly from the companies previous owners, new owners, new stuff is supposed to be much better.
I can NOT give a personal recommendation, I haven't used any of their stuff, they don't make anything for my 62 Savoy or Opel GT. Got a scoop on the Savoy, no hood on the opel.
But if I wanted something from them, I could just go to their shop, pick it up and inspect it, and carry it home , avoiding crating and shipping charges.
I would look for somebody local to you, so that you might be able to do the same thing..
IF YOU DO buy something from California or Pennsylvania, make sure it is insured, and inspect the part before you sign anything from the delivery company.
Thanks, this is the kind of company I was looking for. Inspecting the shipment before signing is a problem because they will drop it at your door and drive off nowadays. If a signature is required the driver will just forge it and the company will back the driver.

Thanks, this is the kind of company I was looking for. Inspecting the shipment before signing is a problem because they will drop it at your door and drive off nowadays. If a signature is required the driver will just forge it and the company will back the driver.
If Package Toss And Run was a Sport.......My local delivery driver could compete in the Olympics. He's gold medalist material....

'71 Duster, 6 pins on mine. The hood is older one from AAR/Stinger. It's pretty light. The pins are All-Star brand aluminum. Center pins were not installed yet here but you get the idea. The two outer rear pins are in front of the cowl above the fresh air ducts and slightly angled. I copied how the '68 Hemi Darts had them. You have to reach under the cowl to tighten the nuts. I don't have a heater or vent anymore so it's no problem.
IMG_3694.jpg

Since the hood is lighter, I could see it trying to lift at speed which is why I went with the extra two. For the center pins, I welded on two mounting tabs. One is on the cowl and the other is on the radiator support. I painted my engine bay so this was obviously before the color went on. Edit; I missed that the OP said no welding, sorry.
IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3701.jpg

Painted. hard to make out the rear one but the front one is easy to spot.
IMG_4650 copy.jpg

Plenty of room for the radiator.
IMG_5735 2.jpg

Last edited:
Jeez, I can't buy from them. Shipping costs.ore than the parts
That is quite common. To package and ship something like a hood, and get it to its destination unharmed is hugely expensive in today's shipping environment. Unlimited advertises truck shipping and insurance to 48 states "AS LOW AS $98" but I bet 98 bucks barely gets it across the street.
Shipping and crating is why i would try to find somebody local enough to drive to, to pick up your part.
There is/was a thread on here where a member bought a $1200 hood and it arrived damaged, and nobody, maker or shipper, would make it right.

I bought an ''unlimited'' fiberglass race weight hood witha 6 pack scoop way back , when I first saw their advertisement , shipped for $400 , fit perfect , 3 icecream sticks on all sides to line it yup perfectly , 3 hood pins on each side .
Now trying to find some after market or foriegn car hinges , I can make work , setting it off all time in a narrow garage sucks !!

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

I bought an ''unlimited'' fiberglass race weight hood witha 6 pack scoop way back , when I first saw their advertisement , shipped for $400 , fit perfect , 3 icecream sticks on all sides to line it yup perfectly , 3 hood pins on each side .
Now trying to find some after market or foriegn car hinges , I can make work , setting it off all time in a narrow garage sucks !!

View attachment 1716148805

You are rolling though. That looks awesome!!!

I use the hinges with no springs, and use a prop rod instead I pulled out of a late model and bolted to the radiator support.

Unlimited

https://www.up22.com/

I don't know if things have changed, but their stuff in years past was rough, really rough. I've had much better luck with Glasstek.

tony (70AARcuda) had three of their hoods on various cars and they were all “Ok” in my book and he was good with them. I ordered mine and had it shipped and with minimal prep was painted and installed. I do however have the advantage that if it was a huge pos I’d have no probs taking a day off of work and burn a tank of fuel to go “visit” them. A mopar bud in SoDak purchased a hood from them last year and he is pleased.

I cannot find a hood anywhere for less than $700 when you factor in shipping. My hood hinges are bent. I can get hood hinges for $100 shipping included. Then there is the pin kit and paint work. I have to take the fenders off either way, plus my existing hood is already painted, so I guess I'll just replace the hood hinges and call it good.

I worked for a lot of years for a graphic arts industry camera company. Some of our cameras were 30ft long and 10 ft high. Occasionally we shipped out of the country, and had to crate them, instead of just partial disassembly for truck shipping .
Crating charges started at $3000, and this was well before shipping charges became insane.
Isn't it crazy that the box it comes in costs more than the part?

-
Back