How to block the manifold heat crossover port?

-

340_833 dart

Reaction score
I use the Edelbrock manifold gaskets that block off the heat crossover port but, they burn through.
It's happened twice so, obviously, I need to do something better. I don't drive the car in cold weather and don't need the heat under the manifold plenum.
I've seen people stuff wadded up aluminum foil into the ports on the heads. Is that effective?
Or, is there a better way to block the passage?

I cut 2 pieces of metal (top of a coffee can or whatever) a little bigger than the port and siliconed them to the gasket when I installed it. I have done this on big blocks many times also.

I cut 2 pieces of metal (top of a coffee can or whatever) a little bigger than the port and siliconed them to the gasket when I installed it. I have done this on big blocks many times also.
i agree, i did the same but keep it thin so the manifold seals

I used Felpro 1213 performance intake gaskets and have never had that problem. hmm... How long does it take to burn through after you install them?

Put magnums on it.No heat xover,no burnt gaskets.

lol...seriously I have blocked them just using gaskets and never had this problem.

Us MPP P4386569 intake gasket. comes complete with a steel shim that block the heat crossover. Never had a problem with them, Work Grate!!!!

PS the Felpro didn't last vary long with we ether!!!

I use the Edelbrock manifold gaskets that block off the heat crossover port but, they burn through.
It's happened twice so, obviously, I need to do something better. I don't drive the car in cold weather and don't need the heat under the manifold plenum.
I've seen people stuff wadded up aluminum foil into the ports on the heads. Is that effective?
Or, is there a better way to block the passage?

I used the coffee can method and it has worked fine now for years.

I always use the mp kit and just trim to fit and seal with hi temp permatex.

I've used thin aluminum sheetmetal, then I not only sealed it with Hi-Temp silicone, I put a thin coating on both sides of the sheetmetal for extra insulation from the heat.

Us MPP P4386569 intake gasket. comes complete with a steel shim that block the heat crossover. Never had a problem with them, Work Grate!!!!

PS the Felpro didn't last vary long with we ether!!!
I've had mine on for a year and half now and haven't had any problems. This is very interesting. I've put about 3500 to 4000 miles on it.

-
Back