how to check a float

69FBCuda

Out For Lunch
Reaction score
Does it hold liquid? submerse it for a day then shake it to see if it has have fluid inside.

Last edited:

Dicer

The past is practice.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
RR, if you have a Nitrophyl float, (epoxy foam) you need a new float to first weight it to get a base line, and I am sure the density of the material would change from batch to batch when made. Back in the day, I checked the float very first thing pulling it out of the carb by using the back side of my fingernail and gently pushing a lower corner of the float and I if see wetness I change the float. Nowadays I just change it, if I can get a brass one all the better. I suppose if you wanted, weight the float get your number, then submerge it in fuel for a length time and then recheck.........

Joey4speed

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Scrape the top of your thumb nail across the float, if you see fuel puddling, it is saturated.

Daves69

Reaction score
Are they all made the same?
IMO, I can't imagine a particular weight as a gauge to go by. I'm thinking buoyancy needs to overcome a pressure in a given range for the application. The know the outboards on my six pack tend to weaken over time.
Is there a flooding issue? Is it adjusted properly? How old is the float?
20 bucks for a new float is cheap compared to oil changes due to a weak float.

Demonracer

71 Demon 00 Ram 16 Chrysler 300S 05 Caravan
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
If you have brass floats, change over to them. I don't trust the black floats or the translucent plastic floats, I've had too many of them fail over the years. I DO NOT assemble a carburetor without brass floats. Of course, all I build are Holley units.

Bewy

Reaction score
Never had a NP float fail. There is a way to test them. There is a weight test, 7.5 - 8gms.
Another method which I like better: the front end of the float has a section cut out. Sit float on a flat surface with this pointing up. Gently push down on metal end with your finger & then remove your finger. If float is good it will stay up in the air.