How to Check Uni body for Straightness

-
While all of the above comments are FANTASTIC amounts of knowledge and advice it may be a bit overly technical. Do you have panel fitment issues? Things not lining up correctly? While keeping things where they need to be and checking some measurements is critical it's not like these cars were built with tight tolerances. I think if you have good panel fitment, no drivetrain fitment issues you should be good with minimal measurements.

While all of the above comments are FANTASTIC amounts of knowledge and advice it may be a bit overly technical. Do you have panel fitment issues? Things not lining up correctly? While keeping things where they need to be and checking some measurements is critical it's not like these cars were built with tight tolerances. I think if you have good panel fitment, no drivetrain fitment issues you should be good with minimal measurements.
Hey, he asked:lol:

No issues with panel or drivetrain fitment that I can identify. I was more worried about the body flexing when I put it up on jack stands and then welding it in a twisted position.

I really didn't know where to start or what to measure. Thanks to all of the advice I received, I definitely have a good idea now how to go about checking things out.

No issues with panel or drivetrain fitment that I can identify. I was more worried about the body flexing when I put it up on jack stands and then welding it in a twisted position.

I really didn't know where to start or what to measure. Thanks to all of the advice I received, I definitely have a good idea now how to go about checking things out.
You will definitely get some sag if you let things hang. All fitment will stem from the panels that do not have adjustment. That being the rockers and quarter panels. If your door fits the quarter when the car is on the ground, supporting the car at the rockers in the air will change that relationship .
Jacking up on the k member will reverse the sag so supporting the front while in the air to where the doors open and close like they did when it is on the ground is a good idea. The rear could use a little support too. Kind of a crap shoot back there. Glass in? Fuel Tank? Battery? Other weight? You get the idea.

-
Back