How to connect these defrost hoses

-

Caberocks

Reaction score
Just got a set of hoses to connect my defrost vent in my 1973 Dart. Does anyone know how they connect? They came with 2 fittings/bushing and I have no idea how they go on. One seems longer than the other. Do I need some sort of clamps to attach them? Thanks in advance for any help!

20161123_173542.jpg

If you can get your hands up there, use a big zip tie. Can you get the vents out? That would be the best way to zip tie them with the vents out or with the vents out, glue them in to the bushings. I'm sure the bushing were made to be pressed on to the vents and the hose ends glued to the other side of the bushing.

Thanks Fury440! I think that may be the ticket! I actually have the whole dash apart replacing cluster, center console, defrost vents, dash cap, and wiper linkage. Its a tight fit, but the bushings can be made to slide into the vent itself. I guess then I could clamp or zip tie it around the rubber bushing! Thanks again! Posting another picture in case it helps someone else or if anybody want to correct me on this as I may still have it wrong.

20161123_200904.jpg

Last edited:
Yes,.that's what I was talking about. See how you have the bushing in the vent in the picture of the vent to the right? Perfect! Now take the hose and put it into the bushing ( clear silicone on it first) and then put a nice bead of clear silicone around the edge. Done!! :)

Edit: put a small bead of clear silicone around the bushing before you install into the vent also.

Last edited:
there are little barb clips that grab the hose// I got some from a member here//

I have been doing a little research and I think the bushing may actually go on the blower not the vent.

True the rubber bushing do go on the heater box outlets, the rubber vent hoses suck for sure. Just happen to have a set of vent hoses on a stang I am working on, wound wire thin paper like it should be, I used those instead worked great. Remember big hole goes to drivers side vent.

Thanks, I may just get some cheapo duct hose at Home depot and do it. I think the original hoses were different sizes on each end. Wonder what the Chrysler engineers were smoking? LoL!

Now I feel stupid. You can buy 2.5 inch duct hose at Autozone 72 inches long for 10 bucks. Oh well, live and learn buying stuff from "restoration shops". Hopefully this post will help the next guy.

Last edited:
no// the hoses fit on the heater box with one using its inside diameter and the other one the outside diameter and the clips hold the hose both ways and hold the hose inside of the vents.

I think that is part of the problem, I don't have any clips. Just 2 hoses and 2 rubber bushings.

I was wrong about the ford ones//but the way the ford ones are made I think squeezing them closed to grab the vent would also allow the barbs to grab the hose
2016-11-24 defrost clip 001.JPG

2016-11-24 defrost clip 007.JPG

2016-11-24 defrost clip 008.JPG

2016-11-24 defrost clip 009.JPG

2016-11-24 defrost clip 010.JPG

2016-11-24 defrost clip 018.JPG

Thanks, I may just get some cheapo duct hose at Home depot and do it. I think the original hoses were different sizes on each end. Wonder what the Chrysler engineers were smoking? LoL!

Now I feel stupid. You can buy 2.5 inch duct hose at Autozone 72 inches long for 10 bucks. Oh well, live and learn buying stuff from "restoration shops". Hopefully this post will help the next guy.

The larger size port on the heater case goes to the drivers side dash vent so this side get lions share of air. The other 3 connection ports are the same size. When the aftermarket supplies all single sized tubing they'll supply a bushing for that 1 larger port, defeating "what the engineers were smoking".

I have not found this to be the case at all. Working on a 74 Dart Swinger Factory AC car. The outlet from the box and the plastic dash vent are the same. I placed the original vent over the box outlet and they are the same diameter. I got a pair of aftermarket vent hoses (and adapters) to replace the original vaporized paper ones. Garbage total garbage. The adapter doesn't fit inside the vent or box outlet, the hoses don't fit inside the adapter, what a load of trash. I expect to have better luck and a closer to factory install by using either dryer vent or the flexible heat riser tubes from the auto parts store. Any time an aftermarket part comes with an "adapter" the original didn't have, you know it's trash. Sending the pile back to Classic Industries.

-
Back