How to determine a safe red-line?

-
I agree with 70aarcuda. I had a bone stock 76 360 with 140k on that I put new rod and mains in it, new rings and a cam and lifters and I spun it to 7000 rpm several times a day for six years with zero issues. I'm sure it was spent well before 7k but I was young and it was fun to do;)

So from the general consensus it should be safe to rev it up pretty high but not worth it because my cam is out of steam by 5800 anyways. I'll take it for a few pulls and see where is drops off, no need to rev it too high when I'm not making any power at that point.

It starts to pull like crazy at around 4000, I'll have to go to a track or something to really test, I have 2.76 rear gears and once I hit 4000-4500 I'm already going 60mph! I need new gears because I want some more bottom end acceleration.

So from the general consensus it should be safe to rev it up pretty high but not worth it because my cam is out of steam by 5800 anyways. I'll take it for a few pulls and see where is drops off, no need to rev it too high when I'm not making any power at that point.

It starts to pull like crazy at around 4000, I'll have to go to a track or something to really test, I have 2.76 rear gears and once I hit 4000-4500 I'm already going 60mph! I need new gears because I want some more bottom end acceleration.

Exactly don't over think this with your heads and cam you will probably go slower if you rev it past 6k, I think you will find your car is quickest shifting in the 5,400 to 5,600 area. My engine is a lot like yours but with a solid cam with a lot more duration and double springs my car et slower if I shifted at 6,500 was quickest at about 6,200.

6000 is probably tops , not going to gain much over that . I tried shifting at 6000 , 6500 and 5800 , had no gains at the track shifting at 6500 , 1/10th slower @ 6500 , my cam is rated to 6000 , it's peak HP @ 5700 on the dyno .

-
Back