How to determine gears

-

Wes

67Cuda
Reaction score
Everyone keeps asking me what gears I have in my 67 cuda? How do I determine this?
I know I have a TF 727 and a 2500 stall.

Thanks,
Wes

Everyone keeps asking me what gears I have in my 67 cuda? How do I determine this?
I know I have a TF 727 and a 2500 stall.

Thanks,
Wes

Some times there is a tag on the rear end cover with the gears stamped on it. But if the gears have been changed the tag could be wroung now.

The only way I know of with out yanking the rear apart and counting teeth is to.

Jack the rear of the car up. Put a mark on the drive shaft. Turn the rear tier one full turn counting the turns of the drive shaft. if the drive shaft turns three and a half times you have 3.55 gears if it turns all most 4 times 3.91 gears and so on.

Good luck.

Count the number of rotations the driveshaft makes in relation to one rotation of the tire. Example: 3 1/2 turns of the driveshaft to 1 turn of the tire = 3.50 to 1 gear or in Mopar terms/turns a 3.55.

I knew if I replied to this thread that by the time I posted ,someone else would`ve answered with the same reply............ and I was right. Lol!

I knew if I replied to this thread that by the time I posted ,someone else would`ve answered with the same reply............ and I was right. Lol!

LOL,Thats what I said to my self too. But it looks like I sliped it in there on you:toothy10:

Great info, thanks. I'll try it out.

If you have an open rear the drive shaft will only rotate halve of the ratio. The other halve is lost in the spider gears in the rear.

-
Back