How to easily resize pics for this forum

-

OneOfMany

Reaction score
Over the years, I have seen many posts for resizing pictures to successfully post them on this forum. Just as with anything, there are many programs available that allow you to edit and resize pictures. These may be programs that come with your camera or standalone image editing programs. Every user will have their own piece of software that they become familiar with, however, not everyone has the same program, and each will have it's own method of doing so.

This post will provide a link to a small, free piece of software that only does one job. Resize pictures. It is an updated version of one that I have used for years, and once you install it, it is very easy to learn and use. As a bonus, it will create a copy of your original picture at the lower resolution. This means you wont damage your original high resolution copy.

-------

Digital cameras today have the ability to take very high resolution photos. This capability is designed primarily for having photos printed to photo paper. The higher the resolution of the photo, the larger the photo can be printed without looking fuzzy or pixelated. The higher the megapixel value of the camera, the more pixels (think dots) are captured, increasing the size of the file. When we view pictures on a comuter screen or TV, the software that we use to view the pictures will actually remove many of these pixels temporarily in order to display the picture on the screen. If the program we are using allows us to zoom in, the program will start using those removed pixels to always show us as much detail as the screen allows.

As an example (and these numbers can vary), a 5 megapixel camera often will capture a picture at 3072 pixels horizontally and 2048 pixels vertically. Now you can just imagine the amount of pixels captured with the newer 10-12 mega pixel cameras.

If we want to print this picture on photo paper, to maintain the detail of the picture, most printers want 300 pixels per inch. (sometimes referred to as 300dpi). With 3000 pixels divided by 300 we can print this picture to a maximim size of 10". If we print it to the more common 4 x 5" size, the printing software will remove pixels that it doesn't need, since it really only requires 1500 pixels to look sharp.

If we are displaying this picture on a computer monitor, we need even less pixels. Depending on your monitor/TV, the maximum number of pixels it displays is considerably less than 3000. In fact, a 1080p TV only has 1920 pixels horizontally. Computer LCD panels can vary from 1024, 1280, 1600, 1920, and for larger hi-def ones, in the 2000+ range. To display the entire picture on the screen, the software on your computer will remove alternating pixels to display just enough to fill the screen you are using.

When we post pictures to a forum such as this one, in order to minimize the file size that has to be stored on their servers, most require that we resize the picture. Also, because not everyone is viewing the website at 1920 resolution, most times we resize the photos to some mimimum size that displays nicely even for those users using screens with lower resolution. If the size is too large, then the picture will scroll off the size of the screen (we've all seen posts like this), and it often makes reading the rest of the thread difficult because the viewing area of all the posts in that thread will be expanded to fit the pictures from that post. You have to constantly scroll to the right to read the text.

-------

I find that using a resolution of 1024 pixels fits nicely in the post, and always meets the maximum size allowed by the forum to upload.

Grant

This picture was originally taken with a resloution of 4000 x 2672 pixels. The size of this file is 6.54MB. (Five 3-1/2" floppies for us older guys lol). If I attempt to upload this picture, the forum will tell me it is too large, therefore I must resize it. Of course, I would hate to resize the original picture, because then when I go to view it or print it later, it would not have enough detail to prevent it from looking fuzzy.

First, I will resize it so that the horizontal size goes from 4000 pixels to 640 pixels.

The resulting picture ends up with a resloution of 640 x 428 pixels. File size is now 70.8KB (1000KB = 1MB). Considerably smaller.

Attachments

• P1000875.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 126
Here's the same picture, using a value of 800 pixels for the horizontal value. The resloution is 800 x 534 pixels, and the filesize is now 106KB.

Attachments

• P1000875.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 127
Well, for some reason, when I resized to 1024 x 684, when I go to uplad the photo, it ends up being no larger than the picture above lol..

Attachments

• P1000876.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 138
You can even resize pictures in Paint, that comes with Windows.

Of course, like 2112 stated, there are numerous programs that can do the job. The free program I will link to will allow you to "batch" resize a bunch of photos, and store the resized pictures in a separate folder (preventing less computer literate users from overwritung their original photos). After the resized photos are uploaded (or attached for easier email transfer) they can be safely deleted.

http://www.virtualzone.de/resizer/

When you download the program, it is "zipped" so you need a program like WinZip or WinRAR to extract it to usable files. These programs will allow you to create a folder to extract it to, or if you use the Extract Here.. option, it will extract it to the same location as the .ZIP file. Once you have it extracted, double-clicking on the resizer.exe file will launch the program

Attachments

• Capture01.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Capture02.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 137
From here, you can either choose

1 - Add File(s) which will allow you to browse your computer for a file, then either proceed to #2 Size, or continue to add files that you want to "batch" resize.

2 - Add Folder allows you to add the contents of an entire folder at once, simplifying your operation if you want to resize a lot of photos.

3 - Remove allows you to highlight and remove files/folders that you dont want to resize.

Let's add a folder..

Attachments

• Capture04.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Capture03.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 152
When adding a folder, it will give you the option of scanning any sub-directories in your chosen folder if you want. In this case, there are none, so I choose No. It will then start populating all of the files in the directory that you are resizing.

Attachments

• Capture05.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Capture06.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 145
Once you have added all of the photos (and you can click the Add buttons again to add more), then on the left side click #2. Size

Now you have a few options to set the output size for resizing.. The simplest is to choose the first option (default) and type in the maximum number of pixels you want for the longest side of the picture. Type in your desired maximum resolution (in this case 1024). This option will make your landscape photos 1024 pixels wide, and your portait mode pictures 1024 pixels high.

Attachments

• Capture07.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 152
Once you have chosen your output sizing, click 3. Output

By default, when the progam runs, it will create a directory to put the resized copies in. It is C:\My JPEGs\. You can of course change this to anything you like. Remember that the pictures that end up in here are copies of the original, so you can safely delete them whenever you want.

You can change other options here, but the default settings are fine.

Attachments

• Capture10.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 139
Yep, constant post about this on the site.

I use the microsoft powertoys image resizer in XP
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-xp

right click on the pic, hit the resizer in dialog box, it will ask what size you want it sized to using some standard defaults and a custom choice. Will save the original and make a new, small file with your resized picture.

Now simply choose 4. Resize, and the program will start processing your files. It may take a while if you have a bunch to do.

Attachments

• Capture11.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Capture12.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 148
Once the process is finished, you can close the program by clicking on the red X..

Now browse to the directory that your processed photos are in. By default C:\My JPEGs\
Your resized photos are there for you to use.

Attachments

• Capture13.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Capture14.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 134
Now, for those new to the forum.. how to post them :)

Scroll down the thread to the end and you'll see the Quick reply box. You can either type some stuff in here and "Post Quick Reply" with no pics, or (before or after typing) hit the "Go Advanced". Here I am typing first, then hitting "Go Advanced" after I type this...

Attachments

• Capture15.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 143
LOL.. like looking in a mirror in a mirror.. Anyways, now that I typed something I'll hit "Go Advanced"..

You'll see some smileys on the right side, and if you scroll down you'll see Additional Options including the "Manage Attachments" button.. Click it

Attachments

• Capture17.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Capture16.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 136
Click on one of the "Browse.." buttons along the top, and you can then navigate to your folder with your resized photo. Select it, and hit the "Open" button. Now you will see your file info in the box. You can add up to 10 photos per post.

Once you have added them, hit the "Upload" button located next to the 10 boxes. (The other allows linking a web URL). If successful, you will see all of the files ready to post. If it fails (file too big etc.) you will see an error message.

Now scroll down and press the "Close this Window" button. This will return you to your Reply to Thread screen. If you scroll down, you will see your attachment waiting to go.

Now it is a simple matter of pressing the "Submit Reply" or if you want to see how you're going to look before going public, "Preview Post". Once you're good, Submit.

Now lets see more pics!

Grant

Attachments

• Capture18.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Capture19.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Capture20.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 108
-
Back