How to? Fix a sagging fiberglass hood... Heat Resistant Foam?

Mopar Body and Trim

1. Hemioutlaw

Hemioutlaw FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    12:18 AM
    Hey y'all,
    Lotta life happened and been gone for a bit but i'm back and with a vengence.

Help needed for this sagging fiberglass hood on my 64' Valiant, as you can possibly/hopefully see in the images it's sagging in the center on the sides. As a first thought I had some foam from an old Moroso airpan that I laid under the hood and it propped it up perfectly so I was thinking that I could just use some weatherstrip adhesive and attach it to the bottom of the hood. Problem is that this foam was probably 15 years old and falling apart. If I go this direction I'm wanting to buy some more foam that is both Heat Resistant and has good rebound characteristics 1 1/2" x 2" is ideal but damned if I can find anywhere on the web to buy some?

Thought number two was adding some dzus, it's currently secured by four pins but the entire front end is also fiberglass so i'm a bit reluctant to add dzus fasteners.

Any ideas Valiant Hood Sag-1.jpg Valiant Hood Sag-2.jpg Valiant Hood Sag-3.jpg

2. famous bob

famous bob mopar misfit FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    you could add a couple of stock type hood bumpers on the sides, a couple of more hood pins (which u need anyway) , and turn it upside down an glass some cardboard stiffeners in it to hold the contour you want. Cardboard is used on almost all fiberglass hoods that I`ve seen.
    Hose done neatly and cut to the right length slid over ur hood pins will hold the hood at the height u want to match the fenders.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Hemioutlaw

Hemioutlaw FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      Thx FB,
      Some good idea's there that will definitely provide a more effective long term solution,I did have foam on the pins (already compressed) and why i hadn't thought of something as simple as hose.....wellllll!

Having never worked with glass before I guess I better find a good UTube vid and figure a way to get the contour i'm wanting to replicate while the hoods upside down being glassed and curing..would shaped wood clamped to the curing hood be what i'm looking for?

• famous bob

famous bob mopar misfit FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      ??? Unless its really flimsy , it might stay the right shape with simple blocking and spaceing , upside down on a couple of sawhorses .??

• Krooser

Krooser Reform School Graduate

Local Time:
      Go online and look for fiberglass supplies.

Quality glass will use a honeycomb material instead of cardboard and you can buy it in various thicknesses and widths. Or you can cut to whatever size or shape you need.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • Krooser

Krooser Reform School Graduate

Local Time:
        Man I'm brain dead....never thought to ask my son...he builds fiberglass hoods for military vehicles.

We talked about that stuffs few months back. I'll have to ask him again.

• Jadaharabi

Jadaharabi FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        We fixed a fiberglass challenger hood by fiberglassing some 1 inch wood stripes into the bottom on each side of the scoop.

• Like Like x 1
        1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.