How to get dog pee out of couch cushions!?

-

RustyDusty

Rabid Cross-eyed Opossum!
Reaction score
Help!!!
My dog about a month ago decided to have 2 accidents on my couch. I've soaked it in some of those enzyme cleaners, none of them seem to help the smell that much. The cushions are sewn to the couch, so I cant remove them. Any ideas!?

Carpet and upholstery Cleaning is my day job.Enzymes work great on carpet and furniture.Your problem is that pee is in the foam never get it out.The only thing you can do is cut the side of you cushion remove the foam and get new foam.Than put the cover in the washing machine on hot cycle with some enzymes,trick is to get your cover back on the new foam when it is wet if you let it dry you will NEVER get it back on.Trust me 30 years here.

My dogs have had so many " accidents" that I broke down and bought a carpet and upholstery steam cleaner. That's how I get the initial stain out. I then use 2 products by Zep called Oxyspray and Oderstroyer. Then dry with fan and heat.

Snake is right about the foam. BUT, there is a home remedy solution I have used that works better than any store bought cleaner I have ever tried. This is the best I have found. Although this says for cats, it works great for dogs too.

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/urinestainremoval.htm

You can try this. It works really well on carpet (I've used it), and says it works on upholstery too, although I've never had that happen.......yet! Good Luck

http://www.88stink.com/

I'm buying a futon just for the dogs. I'll just buy a new matt once a year.

My dogs have had so many " accidents" that I broke down and bought a carpet and upholstery steam cleaner. That's how I get the initial stain out. I then use 2 products by Zep called Oxyspray and Oderstroyer. Then dry with fan and heat.

If my dog has one he better like the outdoors cause that is where he will stay. I have seen him hold it for 24 hours because he will not go out in the rain. When the grass is wet he goes on the patio behind the hot tub where no one see,s him. Very sneaky. He is a very smart dog.

the best cleaner I have found that gets out grease and other stains is mopar total clean. As for the dog pee I think it is too late to get that out invest in a blanket and put it on the furniture to prevent it from getting into the cushions.

I have two Min Pins that are quite insane... lovable cuddly but completely WHACK.... they will go for days/weeks /months without accidents.... they act like good doggies...... then once your confidence is high and without ANY warning and completely quiet....the lil guy Zeus...will just pee on something. Not even alot of pee just enough to make it a lil bit wet.... he gets rushed outside and I clean whatever using a pretty strong solution of OxyCLean & water and suck up the wetness with the mighty lil shop vac....it works great on carpet and there isnt a trace of stain or pee smell. Because if he pee's a shot I soak it with a gallon of the Oxy mix a pint at a time and vac it right up....soak it vac it....soak it vac it and once it is dry there is no trace. THis is good stuff for carpets.....

FOR FOAM cushions.... foam cusions are essentially made of sponge rubber or synthetic sponge material....as such they are much like a huge kitchen sponge.......I am affraid SNAKE is correct.....once urine penetrates sponge you will never ever get it out. as an example...take a brand new kitchen sponge, put one small drop of dish soap on it and then place it under running water and squeeze it until there are no soap bubbles!!! takes about a full day under running water and being squeezed every second to stop making bubbles!!! multiply that by the typical amount your dog pee's and think of how often under the flow of running water now long it would take to get that out of a piece of faom the size of a sofa cushion....not going to happen!! As snake says you will need to cut that cushion off the sofa and soak the cover and replace the foam and sew it back together while it is still wet...then sew it back to the sofa.....
OR try the soak vac soak vac method until you are happy that you cannot smell the urine.....you will run more than a few gallons of water into that cushion before you are anywhere close to "done"
sucks ..... but fixable
good luck

Go to the store get a liter of Club Soda pour it on get it good and wet, let it soak a couple minutes and wet vacuum it out. When I first got my car cats had hit the drivers seat as it was the only cloth seat in the car and club soda was the only thing that worked!

Are familiar with the theory of sucking the venom out of a snake bite? Same principle...

Carpet and upholstery Cleaning is my day job.Enzymes work great on carpet and furniture.Your problem is that pee is in the foam never get it out.The only thing you can do is cut the side of you cushion remove the foam and get new foam.Than put the cover in the washing machine on hot cycle with some enzymes,trick is to get your cover back on the new foam when it is wet if you let it dry you will NEVER get it back on.Trust me 30 years here.

The covers are very taught over the foam. How would I cut the cover and then fix it back to where it looks correct?

The covers are very taught over the foam. How would I cut the cover and then fix it back to where it looks correct?

Usually the cover has a zipper on one side. I replaced the foam in our sofa and 2 love seats cause the foam was too soft. Turn the cover inside out and roll the cover on the new foam. Works like a charm.

-
Back