How to get the Push Rod out of a Master Cyl

-

2fine69s

69 340-6pak Rag Top
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a good master cylinder that I need to get the push rod out of with out damaging the piston assy. I want to install this push rod into the new master cylinder. Nothing is wrong with the old one, I just wanted a new one for the resto. Is this possible?
Martin

Attachments

• IMG_2909.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_2910.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 264
next time leave it in the car.
loosen the 4 nuts and pull master out a half inch and
put a piece of wood behind it.
pull pedal back from under the dash

pop goes the weasel - you will proly need a new rubber thingamabob for the end to put back together... Oh - and a little lube in there can actually help pop it out

I just took the plunger out of my 68 Barracuda. Put the rod end, without the bolt, in a vise. I clamped down on the rod with the rod and plunger hanging straight down. in one hand put the open end of a wrench, say 9/16, around the rod and resting on the piston. Give it a good rap with a hammer and it should pop right out. Put something under it so it doesn't bounce off the floor. I took the rubber piece off, cleaned the rod, and re-installed the rubber. Not bad for 45 yrs old!

Heat the rod a little with a propane torch and it will pull right out. Melts the rubber that holds it in

Best way to do it is with the MC still installed in the car.
Remove the brake light switch,and pull back on the brake pedal.
Pop...It's out.

I have the same problem. I tried your idea, it wouldn't pop out. I'm replacing the master as it leakes, I got the master out but can't seem to get the rod out of the plunger.

Put the piston back in the M/C along with the retainer. Clamp the pushrod in a vise with the master cylinder pointing down towards the ground. Put a towel on the ground to catch the master cylinder. Whack the M/C flange with a deadblow hammer.

Put it back in position in the car and hook up the pedal. Use a block of wood and a pry bar to pop it from the front.

-
Back