How to get this off

-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
How do you get this ricer spray tint off a lens?

100_3966-500.jpg

100_3964-500.jpg

That's a tough one mineral spirits might do the trick

Oven cleaner maybe. That is how we removed painted on lettering off commerical trucks. It never damaged anything including the rubber. You should get an old Mopar lens from the same vintage and make sure what ever you use don't destroy it.

Oven cleaner maybe. That is how we removed painted on lettering off commerical trucks. It never damaged anything including the rubber. You should get an old Mopar lens from the same vintage and make sure what ever you use don't destroy it.
hows it going bill , any news

I found a driver side lens, and will ask the person idf he has the passenger side one also.

I found a driver side lens, and will ask the person idf he has the passenger side one also.

The you can practice on your old lens and see what will work without damaging the lens. I am pretty sure that Toyulene would remove it but I don't know if it would destroy the lens. Toyulene will remove permanant magic marker that has been on for years.

Lacquer thinner would defiantly do it but would damage the lense if left
on too long

Thanks I will go see what I have on hand and give it a shot then report back.

i seen on graveyard cars they use maratic (pardon my spelling) acid to clean light lenses he said it won't hurt the plastic but makes them nice and clean and whatnot i would try that if i was in that situation

I got it all off using brake cleaner. Tomorrow I will use my headlight restore kit to make it look better.

100_3969-500.jpg

100_3968-500.jpg

The three basic solvents are: Water, Rubbing Alcohol, Paint thinner

One of those should break down/dissolve most coatings.

However, on plastic you have to be careful. Some plastic will react to solvents and crack/craze when solvents are applied. One example is acrylic.

had a buddie that was big into model cars, if he didnt like a painjob he'd put it in a bucket of bleach and it would remove just the paint, I've had good luck with oven cleaner

From the title, I originally thought this should be in the blue forum...

The three basic solvents are: Water, Rubbing Alcohol, Paint thinner

One of those should break down/dissolve most coatings.

However, on plastic you have to be careful. Some plastic will react to solvents and crack/craze when solvents are applied. One example is acrylic.

Dang I should have used the alcohol. But the brake cleaner worked with a little scrubbing. Looks like I will need better lenses if I can find them.

-
Back