How to go about replacing roof on '68 dart hard top

-

mean318

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am just wondering how I should go about replacing my roof on my dart, I am considering re-skinning it since I have a good roof from a '67 a pillars and c-pillars. Are there any articles on how to do this? I am also considering just cutting the a and c pillars and welding them onto the car but I am very nervous about doing this and I would like to see some ideas.

Thanks!

You could find every single spotweld on the roof skin and drill them out to remove the skin but I think that replacing the entire roof at the pilars would be faster IF you get it right. You need to take a million measurements and test fit every thing (doors, glass, trim, etc.) before proceeding with your welds.

As far as the procedure. I don't think that I can explain it. It's something you need to see and do for yourself. You might want to ask a body shop how much it would cost for them to do it. It's something you really don't get a second chance at getting it right.

Body shop is doing my mother's '68 Charger's roof, with everything supplied I think she was quoted $1300.

Thanks guys I have made a decision and I will re skin it because the inner frame looks really good. With me being here in Germany they would charge me a @$$ load of money to do that.

I reskinned the roof on my duster. It wasn't that bad of a job. There was alot of spot welds, but I think it would be much easier than cutting the pillars. The inner structure holds the unit body in shape and the replacement roof was easy to weld in.

-
Back