How to Install a High Press Spring in a Small Block Oil Pump

-
Hey all. I know this is an old post but will always be relevant. Why can't I just use the 11 mm socket on the back of the cup trick and tap it in further into the housing and then install a washer between the cup and the spilt pin?
Cheers
Tony
That may work, but you don't know how much it will increase the pressure. The thicker the stack of washers, the higher the pressure... How will you know when you have enough pressure and not too much???

The spring is a known...

That may work, but you don't know how much it will increase the pressure. The thicker the stack of washers, the higher the pressure... How will you know when you have enough pressure and not too much???

The spring is a known...

Plus you run the risk of the spring not having the travel it needs to open the valve, so it's possible you could pop an oil filter or snap the driveshaft for the pump.

I know this is an older technical article but still very informative. FYI for anyone interested in installing the high-pressure spring, the Mopar P369-0944 high-pressure spring kit no longer includes the plug. I received the kit last week, and it has a standard pressure and high pressure spring. I called the supplier, and they confirm the kit no longer includes the plug and said they can't source it. I'm going to try to find an expansion plug that will fit and will edit my post with that part number if I find one.

Last edited:
Measure spring pressure at installed height and then at modified height. LOL, if you had a spring checker,that is.

-
Back